Thread: Robin Hood 2b not reaching top speed.

Robin Hood 2b not reaching top speed.

Hi, I own a Robin Hood 2b with a 2.0l pinto engine running twin dellorto 40mm DHLA carbs. I recently had it rolling road tuned and was getting around 120bhp when it was tuned a fan was placed in front of the car to cool it and simulate some degree of wind. I have recently experienced an issue with it that I cannot seem to fix. At 80mph in 5th gear I cannot pass 3000 Rpm subsequently not being able to pull anymore speed the car used to go a lot faster. Can anyone offer any suggestion of where to start looking.

I am guessing your 2.0l pinto engine is old school distributor/points with separate coil setup (not electronic ignition).
    I would start by carefully examining your distributor internals like weights/springs and other components for wear or sticking.
    Also check vacuum advances and pots. From there follow the usually tune up procedures.

Quote Originally Posted by CARBUILDER View Post
    I am guessing your 2.0l pinto engine is old school distributor/points with separate coil setup (not electronic ignition).
    I would start by carefully examining your distributor internals like weights/springs and other components for wear or sticking.
    Also check vacuum advances and pots. From there follow the usually tune up procedures.

It is electronic ignition with the ignition module, the vacuum advance was removed in the tuning. It a real head scratcher. Thank you for your suggestion I will have a look at the distributer and see if anything is a miss.