Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm new...to everything!

I'm new...to everything!

Hi all,

This is my first post, so I'll quickly introduce myself. My name's Mike, I'm from the UK and I'm currently a trainee accountant but just using it as a method for helping to finance my dream of selling second hand supercars (I'm 19!). I'm really interested in doing a replica build as obviously it will help to be a bit more mechanical for my dream as I can only just about change a wheel at the moment!

I'm looking into either the DNA 3sixty or the 4thirty kits but I have a few questions that I was hoping people might be able to help me with;

1) Skill-wise could I manage it? It's going to be quite a long project as financing it will be difficult and it will require saving for various bits so hopefully, I'll have plenty of new time to acquire new skills. Which kit is the easier build

2) Looking at the comprehensive kits on the website, what other parts am I going to need (presumably genuine parts?) Seats, etc.? I see the 4 thirty comes with a lot more parts?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hello welcome to madmechanics. So u want to build a replica without any skills or money?

Mike, I don't think that's a very good idea. You are free to make your own decision of course but, I grew up working on cars and airplanes, have a LARGE collection of tools, have some experience in light welding, several years of experience in bodywork (Bondo, and fiberglass, primer and paint, etc.) and have had thousands of dollars to spend to get this project finished. It's taken me 4 years so far with life getting in the way MOST of the time. If you really want to have a "kit" supercar, you should probably buy one finished, or mostly finished. There are MANY out there that meet this description, as too many people start a project like this underfunded, without a good tool chest, and without the necessary experience. Those projects usually get sold to the next person to finish. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Madmechanics will be here to offer advice and suggestions if and when you get your project.
    Last edited by jntramey; 05-17-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikejefferson View Post
    Hi all, This is my first post, so I'll quickly introduce myself. My name's Mike, I'm from the UK and I'm currently a trainee accountant but just using it as a method for helping to finance my dream of selling second hand supercars (I'm 19!). Any help would be appreciated. Cheers
    DO NOT even begin to build a replica if your dream is to sell second hand supercars. Supercar owners hate replica cars.
    Get yourself into a good marketing program, buy a suit, get a good smartphone, study the supercar spec. sheets and get out there and sell sell sell.

I never said that I had no money, but for the next few months I'm still on apprentice wage and was just stating that money may be tight at times so it won't be having money thrown at it, instead I'll have to save for various stages of the build.

I think you may have missed the point of my original post. I am not thinking about this because I particularly want the car at then end, I just thought it may be an interesting way to build up my mechanical skills, to help prepare me for future plans.

Quote Originally Posted by CARBUILDER View Post
    DO NOT even begin to build a replica if your dream is to sell second hand supercars. Supercar owners hate replica cars.
    Get yourself into a good marketing program, buy a suit, get a good smartphone, study the supercar spec. sheets and get out there and sell sell sell.
    I would personally disagree with this. I went on a work experience placement with a place that sold second hand supercars, yes there was a time that they got annoyed at someone trying to pass of a Chrysler as a Bentley but they loved seeing decent replicas about. I have also seen plenty of supercar owners at shows having a good look and showing plenty of interest into replicas, perhaps this is a somewhat out dated stereotype?

Quote Originally Posted by mikejefferson View Post
    Hi all,

This is my first post, so I'll quickly introduce myself. My name's Mike, I'm from the UK and I'm currently a trainee accountant but just using it as a method for helping to finance my dream of selling second hand supercars (I'm 19!). I'm really interested in doing a replica build as obviously it will help to be a bit more mechanical for my dream as I can only just about change a wheel at the moment!

I'm looking into either the DNA 3sixty or the 4thirty kits but I have a few questions that I was hoping people might be able to help me with;

1) Skill-wise could I manage it? It's going to be quite a long project as financing it will be difficult and it will require saving for various bits so hopefully, I'll have plenty of new time to acquire new skills. Which kit is the easier build

2) Looking at the comprehensive kits on the website, what other parts am I going to need (presumably genuine parts?) Seats, etc.? I see the 4 thirty comes with a lot more parts?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
    The DNA 430 kit is about the easiest kit to build as far as I have heard. The most cash outlay will be for the donor and the kit. If you find you can afford that. You will be well on your way.

You can start developing skills by hanging around other people that have skills. Unfortunately working for an accountant won’t help much.

Hi Mike,

Welcome... Great that you are showing interest! I bougt an f430 kit last year after studying nearly every build on this forum for over a year.... By studying, I mean really studying, not just looking at pictures... Try to understand what methods/techniques builders use... By doing this you get an idea for yourself which difficulty level you can/want to handle. And also how far you want to take your build as in level of detail/performance upgrades etc..

To answer your question on which build is the easiest my list would look like this: (1 being the easiest, 4 being the hardest)

1: Fugazzi, B*ntly on a Chrystler.
    2: DNA, 3sixty 430, dn8
    3: Vdesign 430 / extreme 430, on peugeot 406
    4: fiero builds/spaceframe builds

When you don't have much experience in building I would also advise you to build a DNA kit... Good quality, good service from what i have heard... However when you put a real Ferrari next to it you will see differences... It is up to you if you can handle that... I also recommend you do some testdriving in various donors to get an idea of what suits you best...

Keep in mind that nearly EVERY build thread contains valueble info for your future build... At first I tended to only look at ferrari builds, but I learned soooooo much from the lambo builds etc...I expect starting my build in 2 moths...

It's a great hobby, however it requieres a lot of patience and dedication...

Good luck!

Cheers!

cheers bro.

The guys here have given you great advices.
    My 2 cents into this is that I have never in my life changed oil on a car - I never learned how to do it! However, I think it is easy and I just happened not to learn it that's all. However, I am now building a variation of a Murcielago Replica and I think I am doing okay considering I don't even own my own tool set. Research and Read and Learn, and have a few friends who are welling to help you do the few complicated tasks and you can do it - if I can do it I am sure ANYONE with any common sense can! Oh and it is not as expensive or lengthy as most people make it sound like - despite the fact that I am doing a more complicated build according to many people...

As far as quality, ease of build, and customer service, I think you would be very safe with the DNA kits. The DNA owners club and DNA would be able to get you to a finished car with the least effort and little stress.

If I was a novice or had little practical skills I would go DNA all the way, those at DNA really do go the extra mile for their customers or even non customers like myself. I hope this helps a little, however I cannot claim to know much about any USA kits as I have not yet had any personal experience with any. Do all your research before parting with your cash, as far too many times I read of unfinished projects, which is sad.