Thread: 05 gmc Sierra electrical problem need help

05 gmc Sierra electrical problem need help

hi my gm is having issues with the volt gauge fuel gauge and temp gauge they work when they want to kind of thing. also the radio turns on and off when I drive and the power windows only work when the radio works and the door locks lock and unlock

Quote Originally Posted by zero123 View Post
    hi my gm is having issues with the volt gauge fuel gauge and temp gauge they work when they want to kind of thing. also the radio turns on and off when I drive and the power windows only work when the radio works and the door locks lock and unlock
    Might be alarm

Gauges are a known issue in GM (et al) vehicles. They are typically the stepper motors going out, and will eventually fail completely. If you look around, there are many tutorials for replacing them, and they're cheap enough. Now the radio and power windows short could be alarm related. You should see a picture of a key on your dash during that time indicating the pass key activation. There are lots of reasons this could happen. Could even be a bad body control module. Does it all happen at the same time?

no it dose not always happen at the same time. but when the radio loses power the windows seem to lose power. also the gauges read correctly when they do work then they cut out and the battery light lights up and the fuel light comes on. and the security light is on. I can also here a hiss sound when the gauges drop to nouthing

Quote Originally Posted by zero123 View Post
    no it dose not always happen at the same time. but when the radio loses power the windows seem to lose power. also the gauges read correctly when they do work then they cut out and the battery light lights up and the fuel light comes on. and the security light is on. I can also here a hiss sound when the gauges drop to nouthing
    Check ure Alarm. that might be the problem.. Take it to a stereo shop and they might be able to help u out.

Why is this post on a kitcar forum, or rather this section and not down below in Off Topic?

For what it's worth, they changed the name of this forum to MadMechanics so it would be more universal, not specific to kits. Not saying that I agree with that, but the OP isn't at fault! Besides, who knows when the issue with this GM starts happening in your Fiero or MR2, and you happen across a solution from this thread?

I would guess it's a body control module, a relay for body controls, or maybe an ignition switch problem? Sounds like you're not getting power to accessories that are on when the key is in the On position. Tough to tell without getting in to it. I'd try to get a wiring diagram and see what is common to everything you're having issues with. Hopefully it's somethnig simple like swapping out a relay or replacing an ignition switch. Good luck with it; keep us posted on what you find out.

ok thanks does the bcm have anything to do with the gauges?