Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adapting a Fiero Shifter Using A Ferrari Shift Gate – TUTORAL

Adapting a Fiero Shifter Using A Ferrari Shift Gate – TUTORAL

Ok – Here is the project.

1988 5 speed Fiero shifter assembly using a 430 Ferrari Shift Gate.

The problem was the shifter assembly did not allow the use of a Ferrari gate because the shifter did not line up with the gated pattern of the shift gate. The travel distance from 2 to 3rd and 4th to 5th was very tight like most cars.
    In order to use a gate. The travel must be far greater.

This is a tutorial on just how I did it!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MacGyver; 05-18-2013 at 09:08 PM.

1. Start off by disassembling the shifter. Put all the parts aside except the main plate.

2. I removed this tab on the plate so I could do some modifications. I didn’t need it so I didn’t reattach it. It must have been for mounting the console or something. I am using a homemade console with different attachment points. If you need it you will have to reweld it back on later. I just left it off on mine.

3. Take a round file or a round bit in your air grinder and make these slots longer (front and back). About to what you see in the photo. If you compare the photo to an untouched unit you will see the slots are longer than they were before. Doing this will let the shifter swing from left to right much further than it was designed to do.

4. Now take your file and also elongate the 4 mounting locations like you see in the photo. This will allow the assembly to mount a little more to the right within the console which will re-center it for the shift gate.

5. Take a cut off wheel and cut a ¼ inch or so next to where the shift linkage attaches like you see in the photo. The next photo is a side view so you can see this better.

6. This will allow the linkage to sit at a little more of an angle. You will see why shortly. You will also need to re-weld this up after you bend it in.

7. Now you will need to modify the lever that the cable attaches too. You will need to make a stud for a new mounting pin for the shift cable. There is a second hole about 3/16 or so in size as you can see in the photo.

You will need to drill that out to ¼”. Also bring the piece over to your bench grinder and smooth off the plastic on top and bottom so it’s flat. (Yes there is metal inside the plastic so don't be thinking it won't be strong enough) This is where the new location of the stud will be. Dig through your bolt can and find a ¼’ bolt that has a non threaded area at least ¾ of an inch long. Trial fit it in the ¼’ hole you made and mark it for the clip that holds the cable in place. I think I used a 3/32 drill bit. Dab a little superglue on it and put it through the hole. I used superglue because I didn’t want it to slip out and fall down into the console before I was able to attach the cable and pin.

RED Arrow = old cable mounting location.
    Green Arrow = New stud location

8. Reassemble the shifter assembly and replace the Fiero shift rod with one of Rodney’s stainless shifters. I also modified the shifter just a little. I ground the sides of the shift rod a little so that there wouldn’t be a real tight fit within the gate. I wanted a little wiggle room within the gate.
    Last edited by MacGyver; 05-19-2013 at 07:25 AM.

Put it all back in your console, reattach the linkage and enjoy a gated shifter.

Please take note: These instructions are for a F430 or F360 OEM shift Gate utilizing an 88 Fiero 5 speed shift assembly. I don’t know if it would be the same on different years of Fiero’s or using a different style of shift gate. It worked for me.

I tried to explain this the best I could. Please feel free to ask questions.

One more thing. Don’t forget to add new grease to all moving parts while you are re-assembling. Good luck!