Thread: Exhaust Manafold leak

Exhaust Manafold leak

I still havent tackled my exhaust manafold leak. my car is up on jack stands at the present time. I saw on another fourm that some one had advised droping the rear half of the engine cradle with a floor jack under it to have better access. can any one eloborate if this is a good plan of attack....thanks BOOMER. p/s finaly going up to pick up my AD spyder tomorrow, John got a little behind completing my panels, which as I told him I was in no big hurry, so tomorrow is the big day.

Re:Exhaust Manafold leak

Boomer,
    This can be done without dropping the crattle. it will be a tight and tough job to do. If you have A/C then the compressor will also have to be dropped. The dealerships had to do this on a recall status back in 1988 so it is doablle. becarefull not to break any of the bolts off in the heads or you will have to drop the engine or remove the head to fix it. I was lucky.......my bolts came out pretty easy. Good luck!! hey by the way........check to see if you have the deflector shield under your manifold. it will go between the manifold and the head. If you dont have this shield , that means the recal was never done on your car and the GM dealership will have to complete it under warentee.....good luck..... I checked mine and it was done........bummer for me

Boomer:

We are looking forward to tracking your build up of the Air Dynamics kit from John Watson. Is John going to show you how to mount the body? Did you get the front support?

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Thanks Glen, I guess I was hopeing against hope that there was some easy fix, but there seems no way around the skinned kunckles, except to find some one to farm out the job to.I will check on the heat shield recall, good tip.
    Dave, I am going to take my video cam and john is going to go through the entire build for me and i will video to share with others who might be interested in a future A/D build. How many other manufactors would take the time to do this for a customer, he will take the entire day for me, to be sure i understand all the stepts. so i will have it on video to share with any one interested. BTW Dave I have a 88 formula that is my donor. If you still need the side lights after a couple weeks when I start to remove my panels, they are yours, for all the help you have been to me through all your informative post through out this forum, just let me know...

Congrats on the kit Boomer, I anticipate seeing your progress as well. What day will you be picking up your kit? I had planned on visiting John next week. I sure would like to see it and meet you.

Duane

Thanks Duane, I am going up tomorrow. JW had some delays in making my panels so I am anxious to get started. I have been following your progress also. I am in Atlanta only about 1 1/2 hr drive to John"s. let me know when you go up perhaps i could meet you there.....Iam like a little kid on the day befor christmas, however I know there will be many challanging times in the next months to come......

Duane and Boomer:

I will be making a trip to Dalton, Georgia on business in the next week or so. How about we coordinate when everyone will be available and meet each other.

Dave

Glenn:

NAPA auto parts and Advanced Auto Parts have the starter solenoid part you need. The retail is $27.00. I will get the part number for you so you can order one at NAPA up there.

Dave