Thread: Porsche transaxles to chevy V-8 experiences

Porsche transaxles to chevy V-8 experiences

Hey there..

Does anyone here have any experience mating a Porsche transaxle with a V-8 Chevy. Not an Lt engine, but something like an old-school 350. I was provided with a working 5 speed 944 by a friend yesterday and for the Countach kit I want to build, seems perfect. It's just the stock trans, there are no shifting cables, or clutch that came with it. This is all eventually going into a stretched Fiero. The Fiero is currently running as my cheap-o sports car with the ((((Iron Duke)))) engine and auto transmission.

I would like to know what I'm getting myself into before drooling over parts, lol. Also if anyone has any build experiences to share and/or tips. Thanks!

Contact Kennedy Engineering for the adapter plate/clutch Home . You'll have to get the ring gear flipped and get a
    cable shifter . Porsche transaxles use a pull clutch , Wilwood has the proper slave cylinder . It will be a lot less work and money to leave the Fiero engine/trans in it.

The transmission you need is out of the rear engine 911

A 944 tranny will do you no good , even for free

Renegade hybrids is the expert at sbc Porsche swaps

Quote Originally Posted by cutlass442 View Post
    The transmission you need is out of the rear engine 911

A 944 tranny will do you no good , even for free

Renegade hybrids is the expert at sbc Porsche swaps
    May I ask why? I've heard a 944 trans is perfectly fine for this application. Even renegade hybrids has a V-8 section with 944's.

Contact Kennedy Engineering for the adapter plate/clutch Home . You'll have to get the ring gear flipped and get a
    cable shifter . Porsche transaxles use a pull clutch , Wilwood has the proper slave cylinder . It will be a lot less work and money to leave the Fiero engine/trans in it.
    Thanks for the info. I know it'll be a lot of work. I'm prepared to spend a lot of years on this if need be. I've wanted to build a Countach for about 12 years already now.

Another question I just thought of...

Are there any good 6 cylinders out there that a 944 could be used with?
    Last edited by cr1978; 05-24-2013 at 03:32 PM.

The 944 transmission is exactly the same as a 016 from an Audi5000 EXCEPT the bellhousing and input shaft have NO PROVISIONS for a clutch. The 944 had the clutch on the motor at the front of the car and the trans at the rear. It will not work unless you put a driveshaft/torquetube between the engine and trans and this will make it too long for you.

It will not work - use it for a trade to get a 915 or one from a boxster.

Quote Originally Posted by jdinner View Post
    The 944 transmission is exactly the same as a 016 from an Audi5000 EXCEPT the bellhousing and input shaft have NO PROVISIONS for a clutch. The 944 had the clutch on the motor at the front of the car and the trans at the rear. It will not work unless you put a driveshaft/torquetube between the engine and trans and this will make it too long for you.

It will not work - use it for a trade to get a 915 or one from a boxster.
    Thanks for the info. I had no idea this was the case until I read your post. I assumed it was all contained within the bellhousing of the trans.

Well, back to the drawing board... Sigh.