Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rim repair question

rim repair question

the rims on my car are damaged alot, they are rims specially designed for this version of this specific car. i want to keep these because they belong to this car, but because theyre only for this version, they are very rare and i cant find them anywhere for sale. so i will need to restore them.

they look like this

only my rims are scraped along those raised parts at the end of the spokes, so i cant grind them down a little to make it smooth again, i do really need to fill them.

does anybody know the best kind of filler to use on aluminium rims and where to buy it? also any tips for the best way to repair them are very welcome.

you have to weld (build up), grind and refinish. i would send it to one of the shops that do it professionally.

and how does welding up the gaps compare in balance affection to filler? i do not want to stick 120grams of lead on it every time i change tyres

Re bulit up with ali, usually tigged. Then put on a lathe and cut back to original spec, then polished and painted. This will not affect the balance of the wheel. They must be special to want to got through this costly repair. Most wheel refurbishers know of a company or man that can do this type of repair, there's one about 15miles from where I live.

J P Polishing Essex Alloy Wheel Refurbishment
    D
    Last edited by Dangerrous; 06-02-2013 at 04:04 PM.

theyre wheels from a volvo 850R, i dont know how theyre available worldwide, but here in the netherlands the only way to get them, is to buy another 850R. i work at a volvo dealership, and even with all the contacts i got from there, i still havent found a set ( exept one that was even worse damaged than mine ). but on youtube i saw a few videos of experts repairing them using a special compound. i thought if somebody here knows what kind, i could buy it and repair them myself. that way it wouldnt cost so much

my uncle is repairng wheels with damage even beyond that,
    and pretty much everything that is not on the spoke is doable.
    from what i see in the pic there must be ~ 2mm lacking so i'd say theres no way to get around welding them, unless they are dented, in which case a major surgery has to be performed... nvmd.
    the sort of filler you ask for is just used to rebuild optical structures (if you get what i mean) and this damage is to broad and deep to just refill it with filler.
    im gonna show that pic to my uncle and ask him.
    cheers

thanks, the pic arent my actual wheels, but the exact same type. my car is now suspended from road taxes and insurance due to my financial state, its in a greenhouse wich has been converted to caravan warehouse ( its 125 euros a year to put it there ) but its kinda far from my house. next time im there i will take those rims home and take a few pics to show how bad the damage is. but the damage is also on the spoke. the arrow thing on the end of the spoke is scraped so it doesnt form a solid line anymore wich is why it cant be grind down for repair, but does need to be filled

If the spokes are badly damaged, you need to remember you're dealing with the structure and stability of the wheel itself. It really needs to be welding with the same type of alloy the wheels were originally built with (TIG) by an experienced wheel repairer. Unless you want to risk hitting a pot hole and breaking the rim completely. 3 piece rims in motorsports were created because of broken center hubs and bent spokes due to weight and pressure from extreme cornering, hich can break an average rim.

how badly is the spoke damaged? or how much was 'carved off' due to the damage?
    Because at some point its risky to fix, if there's a lot lacking the structure is touched and the wheel is out of balance, and as you mention then its kind of more what you need to balance it out. + weaker structure...
    if its just a bit then its just a matter of refilling it, but keep in mind that when the edge is dented then its gonna be a lot more work, maybe cutting, straightening, rewelding etc..
    didnt get hold of my uncle so far but as soon as he i speak to him ill post his advice

yes i understand this yet the car has been driving like this for quite a few years now, i cant inmagine that the structure would be too weak with filler on it while its fine right now without filler on it. i cant remember exactly how much alloy was carved of since its been november since i last have seen the car, but like i said, in 2 weeks i will have the rims here at my house and post some pics. and about the structure, this is about as safe as its gonna get for a non motorsport rim, its volvo ( kinda already says enough ) but its also volvos racing rim ( 850R ) wich has 250hp stock, so im sure volvo tested it for high performance speed and handling. but as far as i remember, its only optically bad, not structurally. like about 2mm carved off.

btw thanks for the replies