Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front mid-engine lambo replica, is it a good idea?

Front mid-engine lambo replica, is it a good idea?

Hello,
    I am not going to be doing any replicas any time soon (Definitely not in the next 3 years or so lol), but I was wondering, what if a Lambo replica was based on a Front Mid-Engine car? There are just three or four (appropriately-priced) rear mid-engine cars available, but so many more front mid-engine ones (RWD). I'm pretty sure there would be at least one with the correct wheelbase for an Aventador, or at least a Gallardo. I did not mention front engine but front mid-engine, as a front engine would mean rising the hoodline (is it called like that?), and destroying the look. And what about noise? Would it be too obvious the engine is at the front? What if a lot of sound absorbing material was used?
    I am afraid that if that didn't work I'd have to choose a Ferrari, possibly, since Ferrari does have front-engine models, which also have manual transmission.
    Thanks a lot,
    XENGS.

A front mid-engine design like the Corvette of Viper requires having the seats near the rear axle. That would put the dimensions wrong for a design like the Lamborghini mid-engine cars.

Hm. So the only way would be rear mid-engine?
    Or are there any front-engine cars with a REALLY low engine that would allow the design to be Ok?

I think it's a good idea, but not practical. The cab on Lamborghinis is just too far forward, and some concessions would have to be made with the design. Look at this; the Mercy 4 kit from Car Kit Inc based on a 4th gen Camaro:

Maybe something like an Eclipse AWD would be a little better.

Oh well. I'd rather not touch the interior on a car like the Aventador. It's really tight, and messing up with the positions and dimensions could result in a horrible driving experience
    Anyways, thanks for your help everyone! There are probably going to be more lambos released within 3 years :P

You can supersize designs over a sedan but it wont be a replica then.
    Chrysler LH Platform - YouTube
    Follow my designs on Facebook fan pages. http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts

Name:  trash.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  5.4 KB

Just my humble openion..... Then again acording to my wife my openions don't count......

What about a car with a small engine like the RX8?
    Almost the same wheelbase as the Aventador (About 0.3" difference if I'm correct), And it's small Rotary engine is really powerful as well. What if the wheel position doesn't match? And possibly the pedals?
    What can be done in that case?

EDIT: By wheel I mean steering wheel.
    Last edited by xengs; 06-18-2013 at 09:45 AM.

The new A-pillars and windshield would cover the engine bay.
    Follow my designs on Facebook fan pages. http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts

Original question.... is it a good idea? no
    You will spend about the same amount of money if not more to make things work.
    For what reason?
    Why would anyone ever consider this as an option?
    Those that consider it think that it is easier to build. The truth is, it is not easier.
    In fact, I believe it is harder to do since there is no room for your feet.

Resale value?