Thread: Transaxle for mid engine setup

Transaxle for mid engine setup

I was working on a Subaru wrx the other day and I started wondering why the transmissions aren't being used in mid engine builds. This car from memory is running a wrx engine and gear box http://www.supercars.net/carpics/171...Saker_SV14.jpg

The only thing I could think of is that being 4wd it would be too long to use in a countach, diablo murc etc.

I did a google search but it doesn't seem anybody is using them.

There is a bunch of discussion over on GT40s forum about using the UN1 transmission. Lots more folks starting to use them. There is a kit now that makes the 4wheel drive into a 2wheel drive setup as well.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

there have been some that use the subie box but you have to lock the diff on the front side

The UN1 has bee hsed in the past but they aer getting harder to find, ie more expensive, .thats why the move to the audi boxes

Justin;

I got your email. Yes, sorry the UN1 are Renault boxes not Subaru boxes. My mistake. Like Adrian said, UN1 boxes are also getting hard to find.....

No really easy answer any more for a mid engine setup with any kind of power. The 012 Audi boxes are very plentiful still but the weakest ones you can get. Still not sure why folks say the 012's are the weakest as they are put behind the Audi V8's standard so should be able to manage the HP and torque you are wanting to go for with the Audi V8 setup.

I think, my opinion only, that when folks are saying they won't work is behind the monster American V8's that are put into the GT40's etc. I can't see why it won't work behind the Audi V8 is was designed to used with....

Good luck with your quest.
    Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Thanks Don, I'm new with transaxles but I'm getting close to starting on my chassis so need to figure out what I'm going to use. I didn't realise the V8s actualy came out with the 012s. Actualy a point of interest. When I was at Graeme's house taking moulds from his car. He happened to have several 012s apart and pointed out that one was considerably beefyer inside than the other. I wonder if the 012s from the v8s are made a bit stronger?

Subaru gears has rear wheel locking mechanism so u can use the Subaru gearbox and the front dif at the back as a mid engine setup It costs 300 euros ( or it used to cost ) and its somethink like a cap that u replace at the back
    simple and cheap and there are many using them
    From performance race cars to daily to classic beetles and baja bugs
    I think there is are stores in eu and in usa
    The pack contains the back part and some times some gears depending on the model

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos Mavroutsikos View Post
    Subaru gears has rear wheel locking mechanism so u can use the Subaru gearbox and the front dif at the back as a mid engine setup It costs 300 euros ( or it used to cost ) and its somethink like a cap that u replace at the back
    simple and cheap and there are many using them
    From performance race cars to daily to classic beetles and baja bugs
    I think there is are stores in eu and in usa
    The pack contains the back part and some times some gears depending on the model
    Kalispera Niko,
    for which Subaru transmission you are talking about?
    is it semi-auto?