Thread: tranny fluid change??

tranny fluid change??

this is going to be my first time changing the tranny fluid on my girls car what specific parts do I need? First post first time on the forum thx in advance

You will need the proper transmission fluid and amount as per owners manual. If you are just going to drain fluid and replace, then you can find the drain plug that usually looks like a bolt with a square in it that your ratchet (wrench) with no socket, will fit into. After you take this bolt out clean the bolt part as it is magnetic and will have tiny metal fragments on it. Their might be a smaller casing you can unbolt and usually there is a filter in there you can clean. You can do this too if you want. Open the filler dipstick for your fluid to release any vacuum that might be created. Replace bolt, put funnel in the reservoir and add the proper amt of fluid. After you drive about 20 miles or so recheck the level and fill if needed. After a week then check fluid again
    Last edited by notnilc20; 07-02-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Most automatic transmissions do not have a drain plug. You have to loosen the bolts that hold the pan on and pull one corner down and let the fluid run out then finish removing the pan to get the rest of it. You will need a new filter and gasket. They usually come together as a kit. Some filters are held on with a small bolt and some are just pressed onto the pick up tube and the pan holds them in place. Make sure you have the correct type of fluid, there are several types. There are some that are said to be universal but I prefer to use the one that is designated in the owners manual. If you don't have the manual you can go online to find out what type or call the dealer service department and they will tell you.

sealed for life automatics are '100000km' gearboxes. the manufacturer INCORRECTLY ignores the gearbox producers workshop service schedules. New style sealed gearboxes are designed to have filters (if any) and oil changed at 40000miles, particulates can clog up valves and wear clutch plates prematurely. Almost every car owners forum has a section on how to change the oil in these boxes, be prepared to 'waste' around 10 litres of fresh oil to wash out the torque converter. I have had to change the oil on both my Audi and Volvo, cost per car... 220!!!! DO NOT buy cheap oil, these oils have a specific chemical composition designed for the type of gearbox manufacturer ie. Getrag, ZF, Warner etc.. The relevant car owners club should be able to advise on Generic oils for these boxes. As an example:- Warner boxes are found in numerous manfacturers cars, the cheapest oil supplied of the correct spec was from SAAB.
    D