Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help!

Please help!

Ok so I have an 1981 Chevrolet malibu classic 3.8 229 cu. a couple weeks ago I started having an issue to where when I shut my car off its almost like it doesn't want to shut off completely and just sputters and while its doing that, the choke light lights up every time it goes "blur blur blur" some times it will only do it once and others while hott she'll keep doing it up to 20 seconds. Also while she does it I am able to turn the key back to the on position and she starts running again. Hopefully this was descriptive enough for somebody to understand what I'm saying. Thank you. Please help. This is embarrassing and very aggravating. Lmao

Your car is "dieseling". There is enough carbon build up in your combustion chamber to act as a glow plug when you've run the car long enough. It usually builds up on your valves and can keep the combustion process going even when their is no power to your spark plugs.

Using some cleaning additives along with an extended higher rpm freeway run may help clear it's throat, but normally you'd really need to redo the heads.
    I bleed styrene, bathe in acetone, and sparkle like a Cullen in the sunlight.

Or just leave it in gear when you shut it off...

Oh wow that is not good news at all. This thing only has 67,000 easy miles on it. Is it even possible for it to be that bad? I mean I take care of it like an old man would. Could it be something more simple then that?

Driving it like an old man is precisely what caused carbon build up. That's why seafoam is so popular

Use some seafoam (check YouTube videos ) then do an Italian tuneup (aka full throttle runs ) to clear out all the built up gunk

You don't need head work

Oh and it would be a good idea to out a test pipe in place of the catalytic converter as all sorts of gunk will come out your exhaust and you don't want to plug up your cat

Your car running rich is probably what caused the carbon build up. Have your carbs checked.

A lifetime of stop and go with no wide open runs will do it too, but I can't imagine that being the case in Greenwood, Indiana.

Just as a cautionary note. Wide open throttle and predetonation can be a metal twister.

The main problem with those old cars dieseling is caused by the throttle plates being open slightly. If you set the idle higher or your idle solenoid is not working properly it will diesel.

THE CORRECT ANSWER IS ... you need a proper tune-up - dieseling is usually a timing related issue.
    Your timing is out.
    All vacuum lines and advances need to be checked
    Timing belts/chains checked
    Any controllers and chokes that effects timing checked
    Retarded ignition timing can cause this because when the initial is retarded you must open the throttle more to maintain a certain idle sped. Opening the throttle blades can cause run on. Advancing your initial will allow you to close the throttle more at idle and reduce the chances of run on.