Thread: Appllying PVA on small mold Please advise..

Appllying PVA on small mold Please advise..

Hi

What is the best way to apply PVA on a small mold? I used my spray gun with 3 bar but it sprayed a sh*t load all at once... so eded up cleaning the gew off ....

Now I am thinking about buying an airbrush set to use for spraying PVA on small parts.... Will this work?

Any other ideas?!

Thanx in advance!

I use a cheap detail top load spray gun to apply PVA. It works well on all sizes of parts.

You don’t really need to use PVA on all small parts. The only instance where it must be used is where you need to have a barrier to keep the gelcoat from eating into your part. Such as painted or plastic surfaces. Just use a few good coats of green wax will do. If you really feel you need to use it. Wipe it on quickly with a soft rag if you don't have a small spray gun.

Thanx Sean!

Thanx for your feedback

I have used the wax when producing the first product... 10 coats... however I ripped off some areas of gelcoat from the product as well as from the mold.. I fixed the damage by applying gelcoat and milling and wet sanding them back into shape... took me sooooowww much time.. that is why I use pva on that part now to guarentee a smooth release... First time I am going to use it...Hope it works!!

Cheers

I always use PVA on all my parts large or small. In my opinion it is worth the bit of extra effort to ensure nothing sticks.

i use a small soft cloth as Sean said and apply one coat. Do 't try to put two or more coats on as it gets the first coats wet and starts to make a mess and you have to start over..... Been there done that and learned...... Using a small spray gun would be the best way to get a good even coat. Reduce the orifice opening of the spray gun so it doesn't push as mush out is all.
    Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

dman Its good to use pva anytime just to be on the safe side, but it sounds like you forgot to make an adjustment on the gun, in otherwords you are sprying too much fluid , just do it again but make an adjustment on the gun, make sure you spray light coats, 2 or 3 is good enough good luck.

I often use a foam paintbrush with good results.

We use PVA everytime we make a part that will be sanded and painted. We put it in a regular HVLP gun. the trick is to stand back and dust it on. It doesnt have to be thick AT ALL. just a light mist will work. To thick and it will take forever to dry plus it changes the finish of the part.