Thread: Which engine?

Cool Which engine?

I have a question on engine, excuse me if I error on this subject, not my best subject. I am building a Bugatti from a Fiero chasis and was planning on using a 3800 turbo engine, until I discovered an issue. Where the engine will be sitting is on the rear transaxle, there's a problem installing a rear engine. It will be in between the engine cover and spoiler, so will not have much access to the engine. My answer to this problem is installing a Porshe Boxster engine with transmission and rear axle. This engine is a mid engine so it will fit nicely under the engine cover but I would like more HP than what it has 217. Does anyone know if there is another engine that can be used with a Porshe Transmission or does anyone have any suggestion? Steve gave me some advice but like to get some more input on this.

A little confused by the question- but if you are looking for engines for the fiero there is a wide range to chose from- mostly gm/ pont engines. You can so a sbc 350 if you are lookin for a v8 - a few companies sell kits to adapt the v8 archie, west coast fiero and I believe v8 conversion. U can use a caddy engine as well - 4.9 or North Star.

I believe you can use a lumna engine I've read some people add turbos to them.

There is a kit for the 3800 super charges engine from the grand prix as well. I believe this is a very popular choice and there are several builds w lots of information on fiero forums.

The problem I have Attachment 23864Look at the top view of this Bugatti. Now you see the space between the rear engine and the spoiler. That's where a rear engine will sit. As you can see I will have limited access to the engine, since the engine will sit midline with the rear transaxle. The Porshe Boxster engine does not sit on the rear transaxle but in front of it, where you see the engine compartment on the pic.

Dude , you just make that part of the fiberglass body lift off for servicing the engine , so it won't be covered

Putting a boxster driveline in a fiero chassis is foolish
    Either start with a boxster or start with a fiero

Guy, your worried about servicing a v6 junker motor compared to the 16 cylinder quad turbo engine crammed in a real Bugatti? How do you think THEY service that monster? They have access panels.

Agreed with Cutlass -

I know with the V8 SBC's you just drop the cradle if you ever need to service it (major repairs)....
    you can always do the panels as someone else mentioned.... If you can get a engine in- I'm sure you can get it out if it needs major servicing...

Do you already have the Porsche engine- and that's why you are trying to make it work - I'd strongly recommend using a tested conversion as the SBC or supercharge 3800.... But it also depending on your preference and budget....

Cool

You are right! Thinking too deep I guess. Will go with the 3800 Supercharger and make access panels. To the other person who commented about going with a Porshe Donor chasis, the answer is that I already purchased and stretched a Fiero chasis.QUOTE=onewickedsvt;192784]Guy, your worried about servicing a v6 junker motor compared to the 16 cylinder quad turbo engine crammed in a real Bugatti? How do you think THEY service that monster? They have access panels.[/QUOTE]

Let me see If I understand your question...

Are you looking at options for a longitudinal mount in the fiero?

If so you can use the P gearbox with just about any engine combination that you could imagine, from 4 to 12 cyls and it would look "more accurate" all you need is an adapter