Thread: BANG!!!!!Throwout bearing or something else?

BANG!!!!!Throwout bearing or something else?

Ahhhh....more issues Centerforce clutch and 5 speed Getrag transmission, I believe I have a v8 Archie kit)
    For the past couple times I drove it I noticed some noise coming from the rear when the clutch pedal is not depressed. Car was driving fine otherwise. But today I took it out for a spin, I was in second gear 3k RPM when I heard BANG sound, and loud grinding noise, like something is scraping on the clutch, car would barely move. I pulled on the side and had it towed home.Seems It's shifting fine with clutch depressed but it won't move and it grinds like crazy every time I let go off the clutch.
    Any idea what could it be and what does it need done?
    Thank you!
    Last edited by redhammer; 08-04-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Chances are your throwout bearing let loose and possibility screwed up the clutch fork in the process. The noise you were hearing was most likely a bad bearing. Looks like it is going to be time for a clutch job. I recommend purchasing good quality parts. Don’t use China parts otherwise you will be doing it again in a year or two.

My guess it is not the release/throwout bearing. The bearing is doing all its work when the pedal is pushed to the floor and you say it shifts fine and grinds when you raise the pedal. That tells me the clutch and throwout bearing are probably fine.
    If I'm going to guess without seeing or hearing it I would say you broke a differential spider gear or you are missing a couple of teeth from the mainshaft or pinion.

I think Jdinner is right about this. Does it make a noise in neutral with the engine running and your foot off the clutch? If it is quiet then but makes a noise when in gear it is likely the differential but could also be on the mainshaft.

Yes it does make the noise in neutral as as well. It would go away if you push the clutch pedal to the floor. I had it towed to the shop this morning, they informed me they would need to drop the whole cradle with engine and suspension to be able to take a look at it. They also said both solid engine mounts are snapped off at the bolts and they suggested replacing them with flexible mounts? While out I'm gonna do a full tune up, might as well.

I think you are looking at a new transmission.

Attached Images Attached Images  

What the heck? That was probably not a grinding noise but more of a banging noise. You got lucky though, it's only a clutch.

Flexible mount -
    If you have the V8 Archie kit and you are talking about the 4 front motor mount bolts breaking off, this is normal.
    It will happen over and over again until you add in a upper motor mount/dog bone.
    I made a support off of the right Fiero deck lid hinge bracket to stabilize the motor, worked great.

It was a upper motor solid mount both front and back. Similar like on this picture(not my car), in my case the bolt snapped from the head and needs to be drilled out where on this picture has stripped treads and it came off. Should I stick with solid mounts or go with flex mounts? My research everyone does solid mounts with added bracket with 2 or 3 mounting points on the head.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If you go with rubber/flexible mounts you will need them everywhere and V8Archie does not allow that with the lower front mount.
    Make a plate to catch three head bolt mounts at least. It will always be a problem if you drive it hard.
    The entire engine cradle is rubber mounted so vibrations are not a big issue.
    Holding the engine in is a big issue. The higher you mount the car side of your support the better.