Thread: Does anyone have experience with lighting an EL dash panel?

Does anyone have experience with lighting an EL dash panel?

Does anyone have experience with lighting an EL dash panel?

I have an OEM gauge cluster that has an EL panel to light the main cluster. I plan to reconfigure it to accommodate Fiero electronics for the different gauges but my first issue is getting the EL panel to light.

I have purchased an A5 12v EL inverter from the net. I think it was glow hut but I’m not sure. It’s been a while.
    At any rate. After I disassembled the cluster I found the connection for the EL light and attached it to the inverter. Using a small motorcycle 6v/12v battery charger I hooked it to the inverter.

The EL only flashes when I apply power from the battery charger. If I tap the connection real fast in the 6v mode. I can get the EL to flash but not stay lit. I think the EL panel is ok but the inverter is not compatible.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Or at least direct me to a site that may be able to help?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MacGyver; 08-07-2013 at 12:34 PM.

D-WERX ::: CUSTOM DESIGN TELLERPLATEN

Hi Sean... This is a guy in holland who lives near me who makes custom guage clusters... He might be able to help you out with your problem...

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by dman1409 View Post
    D-WERX ::: CUSTOM DESIGN TELLERPLATEN

Hi Sean... This is a guy in holland who lives near me who makes custom guage clusters... He might be able to help you out with your problem...

Cheers
    Thanks man. So far I ended up scrapping the EL inverter I bought. It burned out on me. (cheap China crap) I was playing around with my cluster and found I was able to get it to light with it's internal inverter on the board with a 12v battery by putting the cluster in test mode. I had it lit up for around 5 min or so and then unplugged it because the transformer on the inverter section of the board was getting quite warm. I didn't know if that was normal or not.

Hows this project going mac?!

Quote Originally Posted by dman1409 View Post
    Hows this project going mac?!
    Surprisingly enough I found out a Ferrari EL light panel works perfectly with a Chrysler OEM inverter. I’m currently working on getting all the OEM gauges and lights working without the Ferrari cluster board in place. I’m getting there. I see light at the end of the tunnel.

A small EL-light that is.... Hehe lol