Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to make headlights and rear lights ?

how to make headlights and rear lights ?

hi everybody in here. does anybody know how to make headlight and rearlight for a replica car ? please do not ask which car it is. it's a question for any kind of replica car. I need really an answer for that. I saw very good headlight works , and I donno how to make it. how can I make a mold for that ? can I get it via 3d project ? CNC ? or something . please share any knowledge. reagards.... ( any kind of website which is relevant making headlights , rearlights and making mold for that )

You can use P1 projector bulbs for the headlights.
    http://bit.ly/17MHP1u

Since there are many different parts to a headlight and taillight unit you need to be more specific of what part of you want to replicate and what experience you already have in mold making etc.

infact, I am looking for answers for " how to make a mold for headlight "... I wanna getaventador's

In very basic terms you need a plug to copy from. Cut from CNC, an OEM unit or design it yourself from foam and bondo. Once you have your plug just the way you want your finished part to look like. Make a fiberglass mold from it. You will then be able to make a finished fiberglass part from the mold you made.

To make the outer lens
    Most people design them out of 1/8” Polycarbonate sheet. There are many different types and brands of Polycarbonate. Some can be heated in an oven and formed under vacuum or just bent a little to make a decent contoured lens.

For the actual lights themselves – Find some suitable aftermarket units or hit the you pull it yards and find some there.

Look for a good book covering mold making techniques. That will give you a good starting point. There are also a lot of people here on the forum that will give you some good advice as you move along. Some of us have included a lot of information on the different build diaries covering mold making as well.

Just to let you know if you live in a "democratic" country, your car wouldnt be able to pass inspection without a DOT or SAE approved headlight. Other problems are even if you use an alternative legal headlight set to pass and replace to the replica ones, a police officer pulling you over could look over your car and impound it because of none DOT sets and also if you get into an accident, even if you're not at fault, these soulless insurance companies might make your claim void because of replica headlights. The odds are very low but possible I guess.
    Last edited by ArashB; 08-16-2013 at 04:19 PM.
    Follow my designs on Facebook fan pages. http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts

what's your suggestion for book about making mold sir ? is there a good one you can name ?

for the housings make a plug to make mold and part. i use cnc to do my plugs. for lens, you make a plug of your lens shape and have it vacuum formed. i can machine the plugs for you for a price.

There is this great site where they have tons of vids, i'll bet it has what you're looking for. It's called Youtube. Just do a search on youtube's search engine.

There's also an app for that too!