Thread: need some guidance

need some guidance

I just got a 1987 Toyota MR2 it's my first project car, it has a blown head gasket, I'm not sure the best way to go about replacing it, should I pull the motor? Any advice or tips would be great I know next to nothing about this car it's completely different to why I am used to.

I would suggest purchasing a repair manual on that model. That should give you the guidance necessary. Maybe look through you tube as well.

Most car headgaskets can be replaced without pulling the motor.

Did it overheat first? If so, you may be in for more than replacing a head gasket. I'd consider looking into a rebuilt engine, especially if you plan to keep the car for a while. Otherwise check car-part.com to find a used motor in a junkyard. others might not agree, but personally, I think its a lot less headache just swapping in a new engine than tearing it apart to replace a head gasket.

great stuff guys, helps a bunch having others view on this.

I'd take a rebuild over another possibly shot engine from a breaker, if you fix it you might spend a little more but atleast then you KNOW it won't die on you after a month...

It isn't hard to do the MR2 head gaskets, I have done one before. You do not need to pull the motor.
    The biggest things you need to know when putting it back together:
    1: Get the timing marks correct on both cams, while the crankshaft is at top dead center (TDC), a repair manual will help greatly here as they are not obvious.
    2: Get the head gasket on correctly, it will go on upside down, but will block an oil hole, so be careful of this.
    3: Don't forget to put the head bolt washers back in, and torque the head bolts correctly.

Great help guys a buddy works a toyota and is getting me all the guides and manuals and vacuum line lay outs all that stuff, main reason for pulling the motor is to fix and replace other stuff on the A4-GE engine water pump and so on. also to clean it up the engine is rather dirty and grimy, also just to familiarize myself with my car.