Thread: Targa Top Latches???

Patron Class Member

Targa Top Latches???

Hey,
    Kev here. On our Mercy-4 build, we want to make the targa top removable, but we want the mechanism to be reliable and look aesthetically nice. Any suggestions for the mechanical components (not bulky or hard to work)? Thanks all!

PS: Our idea is to go to a local salvage yard and find a targa top on a wrecked vehicle and buy and use that mechanism. Any other ideas? Suggestions? Thanks again!
    Kevin

Too bad a corvette targa top wouldn't fit the lines and a Porsche 911 targa top is expensive

Maybe a 914 targa top? Those are pretty square but don't know the size difference , might be too big

Patron Class Member
    cutlass442,

Thanks! Hey, I forgot to clarify...we don't need the top itself, just the mechanism that latches the top to the rest of the body. These targas acan be tricky as heck to get right, especially on a classy build where wind noise, inclement weather, ease of operation, etc. is going to be a factor. Anyway, we just need a good latch/unlatch system that's not too bulky. Just though another, more experienced builder might have already done it, so I don't have to "re-invent the wheel", lol! It WOULD, however, be nice if a kit had the ability to use full components like that!

Thanks for the reply!
    Kev

I used Mazda Miata convertible top latches on my red roadster. Very nice and clean looking.

I used the Miata latches on my build as well. I had a little trouble getting the angles correct between the recever and the latch. Other than that they came out looking nice.

Patron Class Member
    MacGyver and others,

Thanks a lot for the hit back. We just went to a wrecking yard and got some Miata latches. I can see that they will need to be very precise to really work right, but we're in no hurry and will do it right. Thanks again! When I get to that part in a few days (or weeks, depending on my free time, lol) I'll post pics. Have a gret day! Kev