Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diablo vt kit engine help

Question Diablo vt kit engine help

I am having trouble deciding what engine to put in my Lambo kit car. I am building a d & r vt roadster. Me and a buddy are building a tube chassis for it. My though was putting a 6G72TT w/6 sd getrag trans in it. Not to sure how well that would work. Wiring up the ecu is my main issue. Thought about getting the whole harness from the car. The harness I have is a universal painless wiring 18 circuit that fits a gm column. Any ideas and/or suggestion on what would be the best set up please share. Never done this before so its all new to me.

Thanks

What plans do you have with the car? Where do you plan to drive it? Ain't no point on dropping in a high performance engine if all your gonna do is drive it around which is why I'm against V8's in these cars. Might as well get a V6 but each of his own.... But if you insist i would try and get a column from a 3000GT to go from there.

A guy here in Toronto took the entire engine cradle, steering rack and struts from the 3000GT and welded into the rear of the Fiero.
    The 18 wire painless harness will be good for bits of wire. Just cut them out of it. It will not do anything for the engine or the D&R roadster or the chassis.
    The painless is designed for old fashioned GM electrics (ignition points and push/pull headlight switch) front engine GM cars.
    The painless comes with 1 relay. You are going to need at least 21 relays.
    Marker lights
    Headlights
    Roadster Round Fog
    Roadster Rectangle Fog
    Hazard - powers flasher supply>4 diodes to each light.
    Door Lock
    Door Unlock
    Interior Light
    Left Window Down
    Left window Up
    Right Window Down
    Right Window Up
    Starter Solenoid
    Brake Lights
    Headlight Dimmer
    Horn
    Fuel Pump
    Left Rad Fan
    Right Rad Fan
    AC compressor
    AC Condensor Fan

Building it with relays like this will ensure the electrical system will function properly.

My suggestion is to make the chassis harness yourself and connect a standalone ECU unless you can find someone that will program the Mitsu computer to work standalone.
    Last edited by jdinner; 09-13-2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: my dyslexia....

VT,
    I bought my plans on ebay for 70 bucks. I got a buddy that knows how to weld and told me not to expect the plans to be completely right. There's lots of work to do in that aspect. How I plan to drive it? Well I would like to have fun in it. Show up some of theses collage kids with there mommy and daddy's vetts and mustangs. But also cruise around in. Just trying to build it fun and fast lol.

jdinner,
    my first thoughts where to get the complete harness and column from the 3000gt. I am looking at some stand alone ecu though also. I like the idea of wiring it up myself like you said. I know I can get all the wiring and stuff from summitracing and/or jegs. When I get the the frame built, and everything I will see what way I will go with the wiring.

I am just really seeing what option there are with engines and manual transaxle setups that are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmthor View Post
    I know I can get all the wiring and stuff from summitracing and/or jegs. .
    I don't think you can. It will need to be custom made.

Idk lol I sent a message over to painless wiring and told them what I doing (trying to get different input).And they told me to just get a universal fuse block, then run my wires and relays from there. Not sure where to get all the relays, switches so I thought I could get them threw summit/jegs. We will see what happens after the chassis is built and I figure out what engine set up I will go with. Like I said I thought about getting the harness and column out of a 3000gt donor car if I got that rout.

Mr. Dinner,
    I have known your postings in the past to be helpful and knowledgeable, but I must respectfully and totally disagree with you on this one. Perhaps it has something to do with being a Painless Distributor for many years and calling Dennis Overholser, it's owner, a friend for over 30 years. You say that it will not do anything for the chassis or engine. I say that it will do everything for it. With the exception of electric fan relays, it is everything to wire a car. All of the circuits that you list and more are included with the 18 circuit harness. As for the ECU programming, that service was included in the price of the harness. Go to www.painlessperformance.com for the procedure. I suppose it would work with a points ignition (if you could find one), but it works with all ECU's and fuel injection including the GM one wire.

This post had several more paragraphs with it but it cut them off. This has happened before. I do not find them saved so I will rewrite them in the next hour.

76mx, I am always willing to learn. I recently helped a friend install a 18 wire harness into a FF GTM. We modified the connector for the steering column, used the one supplied relay for the horn, used the signal and hazard flashers and modified the headlight connectors. All the switch outputs needed to be sent to relays to protect the switches. As I see it, the painless system needs high amperage switches for everything, including power windows. If you wanted to install a OEM Diablo or Murci switch pack it would melt it if you didn't install relays.
    In the FF GTM we added 11 relays to the system to prevent electrical fires. Maybe it's just me but I find it easier to make your own harness. My yellow 6.0 cost me under $300.00 for everything - switches, wire, relays and connectors and it fits the car.
    Does painless offer add on relays systems to their 18?
    Last edited by jdinner; 09-15-2013 at 07:15 PM.

I think what jdinner is saying is these modern kit cars should have multiple relays (20+) and those just arent part of any wiring kit, whether from painless or anyone else

All those kits are for old school muscle cars with just fuses and one relay . On a kit car , ESP one with any kind of motorization like headlight doors , batwings , lambo doors etc Youll want relays