Thread: Technique to making doors from master car plug.

Technique to making doors from master car plug.

I have almost all the logistics worked out with building the plug for my countach project. However, I ran into a problem that I would like help with. maybe the answer is right in front of me, but I can't see it.

Scenario:

You have finished building the master plug for the fiberglass mold for your car and are ready to start laying glass down. Knowing that once you lay down fiberglass and that once you take off the cured fiberglass, it will almost certainly destroy the mold, how do you approach the construction of the doors and the door jambs?

I am thinking of cutting out the doors after I make the copy, but I am unsure how to create accurate door jambs afterward without having to re-sculpt that section of car. I just want to make sure I'm not doing things the hard way.

I would appreciate answers only from people who have done it, seen it, or have read up on this topic. Thanks!

This needs to be addressed while you are building the plug so that you can pull a door section off without destroying the plug. Lay up an area on the plug where the door will be. You will be using the plug as a male mold so use release agent and you should be able to remove the door section without destroying the mold. Any damage will have to be repaired. Then you cut out the door opening and create the door jams on the plug so that you can make a mold of them when you do the rest of the body. If the mold you make from the plug is done in sections with flanges so that you can remove it in sections you should be able to do it without destroying the mold.

Quote Originally Posted by txbuilder View Post
    This needs to be addressed while you are building the plug so that you can pull a door section off without destroying the plug. Lay up an area on the plug where the door will be. You will be using the plug as a male mold so use release agent and you should be able to remove the door section without destroying the mold. Any damage will have to be repaired. Then you cut out the door opening and create the door jams on the plug so that you can make a mold of them when you do the rest of the body. If the mold you make from the plug is done in sections with flanges so that you can remove it in sections you should be able to do it without destroying the mold.
    Ok. I haven't thought of making the doors first. It's the opposite of all the how-to videos I've seen, which always conveniently leave out the part of making accurate doors and door jambs. Makes sense and the damage will be minimal compared to the other way I had envisioned. I heard that molds get destroyed (probably just the foam parts) even if using release agent, which is why I think the worst of what can happen.

My thoughts:

1. Make your full body buck as you are currently planning.
    2. When preparing to make the molds, you will be making several joints in the molds anyway so make a joint that out lines the doors and side glass surrounds (that go up the A pillar and B pillars on the Countach
    3. You can make the remaining mold sections at any time.
    4. For the doors, make your outer door skin mold from the outer car shell
    5. Take the door skin of as carefully as you can, to minimize the damage caused
      1. Using mold wax and release will help minimize the damage when pulling the door skin mold off

6. Start cutting your door jambs out of the door area so that you have the body side door jamb fully made.
    7. Using the mold joint on the outside of the body buck, make a new mold for the door jambs that connects to your mold joint at the outer door edges.
    8. Do the same thing above for the front trunk and engine and rear trunk
    9. You now have a full Countach body molded including separate trunks, engine lid and door skins
    10. Once the door jamb molds are done, you will also need to make a mold for the inner door panel
    11. To do this, make your body panels and door skin panels so that you have a body with door jambs and two door skins.
    12. Mount the door skins to your body so that they are in the correct position.
    13. Working from the inside of the body, make your inner door panels that match up to the door jambs and you router door skins
    14. Take the door skins and newly formed inner door sections off the body and take a mold of the inner door sections.
    15. Remember your inner door sections will be slightly different from the door jambs in that they will have the door latches etc. with recesses that will match up to where the latch pins are on the door jamb. Also, there should be about 1/8" clearance between the inner door sections and the door jambs to allow for clearance issues as well as more clearance where the door seals go.

That will pretty much give you everything you need to make all body parts for the car.

Another easier method for the doors etc. will be to buy the inner door sections from a Countach replica manufacturer and use those as base shapes to make the body door jambs.

In everything you do in making body molds, always FIRST think through how you will pull the molds off the finished body panels without having to damage anything. This will help you make sure you don't have a mold that wraps around a part that can't be removed after cured. It wil help you place the mold joints to be able to pull everything out.... When I was making molds, I always spent the most time figuring out how to pull molds off to determine my joint placements before starting to lay any gel coat on parts to mold.

I made a quick drawing in Paint to try to show what I am saying about the mold joints. The dark heavy lines are the mold joints for the door skin. Create your door skin shapes with the mold joints and that way once the door skin mold is done, you can then cut the buck away to create a door jamb and have a body panel mold joint to work against.

Hope this helps
    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

That is awesome. Thank you for that info.

I have three different styles of Countach inner doors if you would like to purchase them instead of fabricating them.

Thank you, I'll consider it, but I have my heart set on making everything body-related for now. I just wish I had the budget to make a proper tube chassis instead of sacrificing a Fiero (I love the Fiero cars too), but I also don't want this build to take another 15 years, lol!

I can help you with that too if you are interested. Take a look at stricklandracinginc's Library | Photobucket