Thread: How doable is it?

How doable is it?

Just wondering if anyone has put any thought to the validity of a Porsche 928 engine/trans swap (longitudinal) into a fiero?

What kind of space/concerns may come up?

Thanks.

Re: How doable is it?

I think the small block chevy is still the best bet regarding reliability...I have seen 928's with sbc in them for this reason. The 928 is setup like the current c5 corvette front engine rear transmission so if anybody wanted to try I think the corvette engine/trans would make a better swap. But the biggest drawbak is the fiero ...it would need to be streched to make it work.

I owned an '80 Porsche 928 for 12 years. I've always thought of the 928 as the Corvette design concept, executed by Germans. I now think of the C5 Corvette as the 928 design concept, executed even better by the Americans.

The 928 has an interesting, all-aluminum, OHC V8 engine, but .... It's very big and quite heavy, despite being all aluminum. Perhaps most important, parts, when you need them, are HIDEOUSLY expensive! You are buying parts for a limited production, discontinued, $80,000 to $100,000 car. You might as well buy a real Ferrari motor for your kit!

If memory serves, the 928 (or maybe the 914) was a favorite of the kit car industry for longitudely mounted V8 motors. I've seen them mostly in Lambo kits although there was one F40 kit (complete with Weber carbs!!!) that looked absolutley perfect due to the propoer engine mounting.

Of course, this goes without saying... the only way to get a 928 tranny mounted into a Fiero is with a stretch. Otherwise, not only is the trunk going to get hacked but probably part of the rear bumper and valance as well

Either way, I simply LOVE the idea of the motor in line with the chasis! Makes for a GREAT look and feel. Plus, adding the velocity stacks on such an installed motor is just gorgeous!

Best,

DKOV -

I would assume that it would NOT have been the 914 as that's a 4 cyl.

Anyways, thanks for the info. I will probably end up doing the 3.4 TDC at some point (thanks to DKOV's ravings about it ) but not until I get the car itself

I am also contemplating doing a 1 off custom F40 body that is 100% dimensionally accurate (96.8163 % of actual size to fit the Fiero stock wheelbase).

Thanks again guys

VRE just made the MOST PROFOUND statement that I've been trying to relay for YEARS about this industry and about 355 kits in general...

Proportional correctness!

It's not enough to "stretch" a fiero just so that is the same length of a real 355 (or any kit) while the dimensions get all screwed up during the process.

So what if the car is .02% smaller so long as ALL the car is .02% smaller.

Thanks VRE... there IS intelligence in the Universe

DKOV -

Glad I could oblige