Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Countach and Diablo windscreens and side glass

Thank you Uncle K9Cop and I will send the twenty bucks...........but seriously, thank you.

Sorry it took a while to answer, I had a car that we took to Key Largo and it occupied most of my time till then. Don, I just wanted to get that project done before turning my attention to some other projects so it is not that far out. The groundwork is already done so a month or two at most before they are ready is what I am thinking. I have tried to find the Sienna website, can you give me more direction? LamboIllinois, I have heard many horror stories about shipping windshields but I have never lost one coming in or going out. I use a crate that ships it upright and captures it in pipe insulation but allows it to "float" in the crate. Even if it was broken, there is automatically $1,300 worth of insurance on it, which would more than cover the windshield, crating, and shipping. The worst thing that could happen is that you still get a windshield and I sell two of them.

76mx;

Here is the website.

SiennaCountach Home

Frederick was very repsonsive to me when we emailed./ Not sure what he is doing with the Sienna parts and molds he has as not much has come out lately.

Also good to hear about the Lexan side glass as that wil be on my need list soon. I also posted over on the UK Lambo replica site asking about the Pilkington side glass or other options and no response yet. No repsoence from wbnemo1 either. He has gone dark these past several months.

I will update this thread as I hear more info from wherever.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I received an answer from one of the Countach owners over in Jolly Old England.... He said he bought Pilkington side glass for his Prova and it fit right in.....

He did recommend that we send Peter some measurements of the openings on our side door glass areas though and Peter can confirm how close they area. I don't have my side glass frames built yet as I am a while away from that but if anyone has side glass frame measurements maybe we can send those over with the question and see if the side glass will work. If the Marauder glass shape is very close to the other kits, it might be worth while getting some sent over in a group buy.

thoughts?

Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I received an answer from one of the Countach owners over in Jolly Old England.... He said he bought Pilkington side glass for his Prova and it fit right in.....

He did recommend that we send Peter some measurements of the openings on our side door glass areas though and Peter can confirm how close they area. I don't have my side glass frames built yet as I am a while away from that but if anyone has side glass frame measurements maybe we can send those over with the question and see if the side glass will work. If the Marauder glass shape is very close to the other kits, it might be worth while getting some sent over in a group buy.

thoughts?

Don
    Thoughts are, if it's not curved, what's the point?. I have a set of flat side glass, but it won't fit into curved frames, and it won't wind down.

Martin Allen at Pilkington may be a better bet than Peter Swann, Martin's more accessible.

Isn't there a cut down we could use?

K9

ok,
    I've had a ridiculous time with family matters lately, let's just say that 2013 is one of the worst years i've dealt with, hope 2014 is a lot better.... but to answer some questions, it's not the Marauder, it's Mirage, both mk1 and mk2. these are in fact countach kits.....the side glass from pilkington is curved and is tinted green as well, Ieven have photos of the bending jigs which years ago i posted here...the only reason Peter stopped making the glass was because i notified him that the rear quarterlites were the wrong dimensions, too narrow, and not tall enough, though the S curve was dead on...I gave him the new dimensions, and he made a prototype Qlite and sent it to me, fits great... I was just supposed to give him the word and we could get glass from him again....though, it's laminated, not tempered. I also have all the measurements for the glass including the Windscreens from Peter, we went back and forth on this for quite a while to make sure we were talking about the right sizes...I let my buddy borrow my glass set and he made fiberglass mold templates, so if we can find a tempered glass manufacturer, heaven only knows we've tried, we can get curved glass made , screen as well

Will

Will;

Welcome back to the fold. I hope everything is working out now your family. Sounds like it was a bad year for you. I am sorry to hear that.

All the best in 2014 and i hope you get more time on the project as that would mean your family matters are settling down as you deserve a break.

All my best buddy and talk to you soon.
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Hi,

i had some rear quarter glass frames from Goliath, took them to Peter and the glass he had were way too small so I paid an extra 300 to have new jigs made up and now they fit perfectly to my mirage

I have a set of rear quarter. Windows as well that fit on to my Prova almost perfectly. It is the rest of the side glass that is still an issue for most of us.

i like that Will has confirmed the Pilkington glass works. I know he also had a set of side window frames made by a Jed. I think from the UK as well. The glass is supposed to fit in these frames no issue.

maybe we should look into a group buy on the Pilkington glass and get a bunch shipped over in the same crate?

cheers and Happy New Year everyone.
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I have been meaning to update my progress on this for the last few weeks but let me say this first. Now that it is finally confirmed that Pilkington has them, it will not hurt my feelings a bit if they are purchased from them. My efforts were more of a courtesy than a profitable venture, especially after having to sit on numerous sets before selling enough to get back to even. With that said, I am stopping all effort on them but let me tell you anyway what I have found in the last few weeks. I learned that the protective coating on Lexan is killed when it is heated and bent. It can be recoated but the expense rises. With all of that, acrylic becomes an option. It is much cheaper initially and it can be coated as well. I was waiting for the acrylic forming company to reopen after the hollidays to get more info. I was also surprised to learn that my vacuum machine was rated for Lexan, raising the possibility of doing this in house. However, a relatively large sheet has to be used to make a relatively small piece, using twice as much Lexan at $300 per sheet and doubling material cost. Bottom line, easier to get it from Pilkington than to figure all of this out and reinvent the wheel.