Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Countach and Diablo windscreens and side glass

Countach and Diablo windscreens and side glass

I came across a local guy to me that built the windscreens and side glass for the NAERC Diablos back in the day. He still has all his jigs and can still make the screens and side glass. The side glass is laminated though as he can't do tempered. Tempered jigs and setup is cost prohibitive for small batch runs or one offs.

I am helping a buddy in Calgary for his Diablo glass but I also talked to the owner about Countach screens and side glass.

For Countachs, we can get screens from 76mx in Texas or Don in Idaho (Euroexotics new owner) but we can only get side glass from Pilkington's in the uk.... screens are $700 from 76mx and I think $800 from Don.

I was going to see how much it would cost to get the side glass jigs built by this guy and then how much side glass packages would run and see if anyone else is in for a bulk buy to help defer the costs of the jigs setup since there will be 8 jigs required........ I tried the same question to Pilkington's but have never received an answer back. I have quarter light windows I can use for templates but the rest would need to be setup on the car for shape.

My car is a Prova so that should make it pretty close for everyone else's door glass as well?

Thoughts or interest?

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I still need CURVED side glass, so I would be interested.

K9

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I came across a local guy to me that built the windscreens and side glass for the NAERC Diablos back in the day. He still has all his jigs and can still make the screens and side glass. The side glass is laminated though as he can't do tempered. Tempered jigs and setup is cost prohibitive for small batch runs or one offs.

I am helping a buddy in Calgary for his Diablo glass but I also talked to the owner about Countach screens and side glass.

For Countachs, we can get screens from 76mx in Texas or Don in Idaho (Euroexotics new owner) but we can only get side glass from Pilkington's in the uk.... screens are $700 from 76mx and I think $800 from Don.

I was going to see how much it would cost to get the side glass jigs built by this guy and then how much side glass packages would run and see if anyone else is in for a bulk buy to help defer the costs of the jigs setup since there will be 8 jigs required........ I tried the same question to Pilkington's but have never received an answer back. I have quarter light windows I can use for templates but the rest would need to be setup on the car for shape.

My car is a Prova so that should make it pretty close for everyone else's door glass as well?

Thoughts or interest?

Cheers
    Don

I have a complete set of OEM door and quarter glass that I am having Lexan copies made from. I have had it priced for tempered and laminated and laminated is prohibitive, tempered is way prohibitive. The eight pieces in Lexan will be $700 but it is still some time out. They will be green tinted Lexan to match the windshields. Some time ago Pilkington told me that all they had for side glass was the Maurauder kit glass which was similar but not nearly a Countach glass. If anyone has different info from them, I will stop the Lexan production and buy from them. I also have windshields but only one left in this shipment and not sure when I will order again. It is supposed to be spoken for and I will hold it for just a few more days, then it will be available again.

76mx.

i was wondering if you had any side glass as well. I think I will end up being surprised how much the jigs and glass will cost me once I talk to the local guy. I am not sure if Don from Euroexotics has any side glass. I think that is Lexan as well.

The only guy I know that has received a full set of side glass from Pilkington is Will wbnemo1 on here. I haven't heard from him in quite a while.

if you can get a full set of Lexan, a good chance folks will get yours vs. the Pilkington due to proximity over anything else.

I will ill get a quote for the local guy off my Prova and see where it all lands.

thanks
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Don,
    Pilkington themselves have told me they only have the Maurauder glass. If someome can convince them (and me) differently, I would bring a load to the U.S., but the Maurauder glass is two pieces and I have seen it personnally and it does not match the tint of the windshield. If Euroexotics has it there is no need for me to duplicate his efforts but I have tried to call him at least 30 times. Assuming he did, and assuming he could be contacted, do you know if it is the proper green tint?

76mx. I honestly don't know if Don at Euroexotics has glass side pieces. I have emailed him a few times as well with no response. Not going to make much of a business that way......

If you go on to Sienna us website, Frederick has the door quarter windows for sale and he told me he has a set of original Sienna side glass as well that he was looking for someone to jig up and make. Not sure how far away from your Atlanta shop he is but he is on the East Coast somewhere.

I can contact Will again and see if he would be willing to see about how his Pilkington glass works with other doors?

Those are all the sources I know about.

cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Name:  side window color.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  81.8 KBTook this today. It shows the color of the side glass Lexan tint next to the windshield tint.

76mx

i would say your Lexan setup for the side glass is going to be the most realistic option for us. I doubt the glass ones will be $700. I would suspect more. How much more, no idea but I would be surprised if it is that.

what is your overall plan for the side glass? A year out, 6 months?

I can see shipping the Lexan windows but I am not sure what to do about the windscreen though. I tried to get two screens from Alan at euro exotics and the shipping company toasted them both on me. Even had a forklift time go through one of the boxes.....

What has been your experience with the shipping?

cheers
    don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I ordered a windscreen from euro exotics over a year ago when Alan was still there. The first one was delivered by a standard UPS truck in a wooden crate, but the glass was cracked. UPS insurance covered it. The second one arrived safely via freight truck in the same size crate as the first, but additional wooden supports were attached to allow the crate to stand vertically. I then transported the crate home in our SUV horizontally, opened the crate, still no cracks. I've also ordered tempered glass that was individually wrapped with small-cell bubble wrap, packed in a thin-walled wooden crate.

76MX and his sales ethics - faultless!

I've just bought a windshield and other parts from Charley. One of the nicest, most honest, reliable guys I've dealt with in a long time. *Your experience may differ etc etc* disclaimer, but seriously, he's one of the good guys.

K9

Quote Originally Posted by LamboIllinois View Post
    I ordered a windscreen from euro exotics over a year ago when Alan was still there. The first one was delivered by a standard UPS truck in a wooden crate, but the glass was cracked. UPS insurance covered it. The second one arrived safely via freight truck in the same size crate as the first, but additional wooden supports were attached to allow the crate to stand vertically. I then transported the crate home in our SUV horizontally, opened the crate, still no cracks. I've also ordered tempered glass that was individually wrapped with small-cell bubble wrap, packed in a thin-walled wooden crate.