Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prova windscreen pillars - inaccurate? Discuss...

Prova windscreen pillars - inaccurate? Discuss...

Ok, so I have an early Prova tube frame car, one of the more accurate replicas, I understand.

I think the windscreen (windshield) pillars may be wrong.

On the genuine car, the glass goes from door frame to door frame, thus:
    Name:  1978-Lamborghini-Countach-LP400S.jpg
Views: 2321
Size:  98.7 KB

And here:
    Name:  Lamborghini-Countach yellow-Front-Angle-st.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  93.3 KB

This would imply that the upper face of the 'A' pillars is lower than the edge of the door frame, to allow the two to be flush once the glass is installed.

On the Prova, the surface of the windscreen pillar is already flush with the door frame, meaning that an 'extra' line of body coloured material is created between the windscreen and the door frame, thus: Name:  JN9_006.jpg
Views: 1633
Size:  66.9 KB. This car (awesome) is the Bob Fonger car recently listed on Ebay for $110,000, described as based on a 'PROVO' body from the UK, also described as moulded off a real car therefore 'accurate'. This is in no way a criticism of that car, it is epic. I wish I was even able to imagine a replica being that good... anyways, here's a couple more Prova pics. Look at where the 'A' pillar joins the roof:

Name:  DSCN8872email.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  33.4 KB

Name:  $T2eC16VHJGYFFkuykqedBSNcVriRYw~~60_12.JPG
Views: 974
Size:  40.2 KB

Now, the finished cars are beautifully done, and all credit to the builders, but what glass did they use? If the genuine glass is supposed to cover the 'A' pillars, which these do not, what windscreen did they use? What to do now with a Prova kit if accuracy is sought? Do I cut a genuine windscreen, or 'grind down' the pillars to allow the window to sit flush with the doors?

Thoughts guys and girls?

K9
    Last edited by K9COP; 12-09-2013 at 12:09 AM.

Hello? Anybody?

Countach Windscreen

Hi K9 , I faced the same question, I suspect that my shell is molded from a Prova, not totally sure but looks the same, it was originally supplied to me to use the replica windscreen, and had the boarder of about 3/4 " down the sides, a look that I hate. So I did some digging and found there are many windscreens out there , mine was ordered in from a Company in Australia.
    I had my window measurements before I bought the shell or the glass, so I made a template from the measurements and then took it to the then shell builder and we worked out that we could cut away the border and just leave the vertical edge of the border.
    On a real car the edge is about 1/8" thick and stands up vertically down the edge of the glass, so that's what I have done, and then I bought the glass and drew around it to make a fresh template from 4mm mdf and it fitted the shell perfectly, the only other thing I did not like was the low roof line that dropped down to the windscreen, so I have cut the A pillars and also the edge of the roof at the rear where it joins the body next to the airbox , you might be able to see the yellow glue line in one of the pics, there is a line there just behind the door that allowed me to tilt the roof up at the front and slightly down at the rear, and then glue and glass it all back together.
    You just have to be careful you don't raise the front of the roof too much , otherwise the glass becomes too short but I was able to raise the roof to the original 1070 at the Centre, and the glass still fits no problems, I have attached a couple of old pics of the roof line after the changes. Please Ignore my crazy son going for a drive, we were trying to gauge the head room available and he's 6ft 2.
    If it helps I will try to dig out the part number for the glass I have.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.,...

I'm thinking that yes, I'll remove a 'slice' of the 'A' pillars to allow the glass to lay properly on the car. What did you use for the black surround around your glass? Do you have any pictures of the 'edge' on the real car, or dimensions of the roof adjustments etc, for reference please?

Your son is, indeed, crazy. Everyone knows you can't drive a Countach in wellies.....

K9

Quote Originally Posted by Lambolex View Post
    Hi K9 , I faced the same question, I suspect that my shell is molded from a Prova, not totally sure but looks the same, it was originally supplied to me to use the replica windscreen, and had the boarder of about 3/4 " down the sides, a look that I hate. So I did some digging and found there are many windscreens out there , mine was ordered in from a Company in Australia.
    I had my window measurements before I bought the shell or the glass, so I made a template from the measurements and then took it to the then shell builder and we worked out that we could cut away the border and just leave the vertical edge of the border.
    On a real car the edge is about 1/8" thick and stands up vertically down the edge of the glass, so that's what I have done, and then I bought the glass and drew around it to make a fresh template from 4mm mdf and it fitted the shell perfectly, the only other thing I did not like was the low roof line that dropped down to the windscreen, so I have cut the A pillars and also the edge of the roof at the rear where it joins the body next to the airbox , you might be able to see the yellow glue line in one of the pics, there is a line there just behind the door that allowed me to tilt the roof up at the front and slightly down at the rear, and then glue and glass it all back together.
    You just have to be careful you don't raise the front of the roof too much , otherwise the glass becomes too short but I was able to raise the roof to the original 1070 at the Centre, and the glass still fits no problems, I have attached a couple of old pics of the roof line after the changes. Please Ignore my crazy son going for a drive, we were trying to gauge the head room available and he's 6ft 2.
    If it helps I will try to dig out the part number for the glass I have.
    Last edited by K9COP; 12-09-2013 at 11:48 PM.

I also have a Prova body and my screen edges are the lower than the roof line as the way Lambolex says he did his. I have heard that Prova bodies had the wide a-pillars but I have had two Countach bodies and both have the correct screen and a-pillar shapes.

i can take pictures of mine once I get it into the garage in a bit.

cheers
    don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Countach windscreen edges and a few other hard to get pictures

Hi K9, I dug these out from a recent car show in nz , the red car is red not pink as cheap camera phone takes it, black car is in usa, I am yet to mount my window but was going to paint it black on the edges, also I have discovered that the old Lettraset product offers a pattern of ever decreasing size of dots just like the oem windows, so I am going to paint the edge, and then use the Lettraset to get the frosted edge.
    As I went through my collection of photos, I also found a few others that might help you ,and other builders, some are pics you just don't find on the web. It is a real car but as you can see need some tlc.
    Last edited by Lambolex; 12-10-2013 at 03:54 AM.

and some more

and two more

Nice job, thanks guys...

Those pictures are very useful, thanks. A couple of pics of the car BEFORE the window goes in would be super useful. One of the best resources I found for detail is a 17 minute youtube 'walk around' video on a genuine car. I posted about it but PM me if you can't find it.

Any thoughts on steering column covers for your car, I have a cunning plan on that one... LOL

K9

Quote Originally Posted by Lambolex View Post
    and two more

Countach Steering Column Shroud

Hi K9 , I will post pics when I get to that point but its going to be quite a while yet, as far as the column shroud, I am using a Toyota Soarer Column so don't really have the choice of something more like the original the Soarer is flat across the top so will not come up between the speedo and Tach not as much, but its not a major, I would rather have the memory electric tilt and telescope function working , it will make access so much easier, so what is you cunning plan to copy the original, I know Will wbnemo1, had done some work on that but that was in 2011 and I think V12al had a real one but I have not heard any more of it. I have attached a few pics.