Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What material do I use to build this?

What material do I use to build this?

I want to put a splitter on the front of my Koenig TR. I know it is not something this car had but I know it would look cool and protect my front air dam. It is real easy to do. Simply cut the splitter out of a flat panel and attach it to the flat bottom of my nose. See pic I have attached. That is the pattern cut out of cardboard. The question is what do I make it from? I'd like it to be a strong flat piece of black plastic approx. 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick.
    I would need a sheet 6 foot by 30 inch in size. I could make it in 2 pieces with a join in the middle if I had to.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

You can buy ABS sheet at the hardware store. You could make a flat piece of fiberglass and trim it.

I was concerned with scraping the bottom of my front bumper. I ended up using black 3/8" ABS and made it from a pattern just like you made. after cutting the shape with a jig saw. I used a body file to smooth the jig saw marks and then used a router to bevel the edge. I countersunk some 1/4 inch stainless bolts with aircraft nuts. It's very hard to see it unless you get down on your knees and look up under the bumper.

I purchased the ABS at a plastic supply. I think it was a 4x8 sheet. I can't remember for sure. I had it a while. Maybe you could find a smaller piece from a plastic fabrication shop or someone who builds custom boats.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by MacGyver; 12-12-2013 at 06:41 PM.

That is good stuff Mac G. Hard to find the thicker stuff [3/8 inch] but I'll start looking.

hi i am new here i want to learn if can i create a kit car from template??? i found this Build A Lamborghini Countach Body From Scratch, Build Any Kit Car Body Using Our Simple System. nad i would like to create this how to build a Zonda R #4 - YouTube!!any advice what programm can i use??or how can i cut the wood??

I'm sure you could get away with 1/4". I just used 3/8 since I already had it. The material I used I believe is not regular ABS. It's made to use on boats. I have been trying to remember the name of it but I can't. It seams softer than regular ABS and it doesn't get brittle over time like the regular ABS stuff does.
    Last edited by MacGyver; 12-14-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I'm sure you could get away with 1/4". I just used 3/8 since I already had it. The material I used I believe is not regular ABS. It's made to use on boats. I have been trying to remember the name of it but I can't. It seams softer than regular ABS and it doesn't get brittle over time like the regular ABS stuff does.
    Sounds like what I need. I'd rather have something a bit "soft" rather than brittle/
    Appreciate any info if you think of a name. THANKS

If you want to give these guys a call I’m sure they can tell you what to use. I don't know if they would ship it to you but at least you would know what to look for.
    Fargo Plastic Supply, Clearwater FL 727-572-7722 or 800-327-2676

Thanks, I'll call. I am going to Florida in a couple months so no problem on shipping. THANKS again.

Macgyver,
    I think what you are trying to think of is called Starboard, it is used extensively in the marine industry and I think a much better choice than ABS. It has a more slippery feel than ABS. Any plastic supply willl have it but if not I have some that is 3/4 inch thick. We use it to keep the tubs of open wheel cars from bottoming out.