Thread: Rust problems on conversions?

Rust problems on conversions?

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anybody's noticed any problems with rust after, perhaps, a number of years with stuff like the DNA kits due to them being based on steel-bodied cars?

Particularly wondering about areas such as gaps between the OEM wheelarches and the fibreglass wheelarches, which look like they could be water-traps if not sealed or drained properly.

Maybe it's not a problem but it kinda gives me the heeby-jeebies to think that a lovely-looking replica could actually be going rotten underneath the fibreglass.

Considering how little most kit cars are driven after the conversion , that most are never driven in the rain and are garaged , I don't think rust is a big issue

I use Rust Destroyer on my chassis and it had been sitting inside and outside in rain couple of times with out a spot of rust. On couple of my restored cars I normally top coat it as the manufacturer suggests. One car I have had for over 10 years and drove in rain and snow and I have still not seen any rust.