Thread: V8 Monte Carlo 2006-7 FWD ? What ???

V8 Monte Carlo 2006-7 FWD ? What ???

So I'm leaving the local 7 Eleven with a gallon of milk one morning and in the lot is a late model Monte Carlo , no big deal I see them around here and there. I think of them as being good for pulling out the 3.4 engine and that's where it ends. WELL, this one had a 'V8' badge on the trunk lid. I thought 'hmmmmmmmm' is this the last version of the car and they went Rear Wheel Drive like the GTO a few years back? Again, I wondered and drove home forgetting all about the car until just a moment ago. I went and did a search of the wiki history on the Monte Carlo and HOLY CRAP!! the V8 5.3 ltr LS4 is FRONT WHEEL DRIVE! and its mated to the familiar 4-speed transverse auto 4T65E-HD (HD = heavy duty).

Some tech here:

The folks at General motors wanted to spice-up their FWD W-Platforms to try and compete with some of the performance sport sedans that were coming on-line around the 2005 model year. In the wings was the surprising Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum, and included a 5.7L V8 option that caught the other domestic car companies by surprise. At around this time, the full-sized Mercury Marauder was being produced, and it was full of promise that was never delivered. Both of those platforms were RWD, something that GM didnít have during this time period. So why not cram a V8 into a FWD Sedan?
    The LS4 was created just for this use. It is a 5.3L Generation IV smallblock, which had the same displacement as the LY5 Vortec 5300 from the truck side of the business, only the block is made of aluminum instead of iron. This engine uses the same cylinder head as the Generation III LS6 engine. According to GM, the crankshaft is shortened 13 mm Ė 3 mm at the flywheel end and 10 mm at the accessory drive end Ė to fit into the crowded engine compartment of the W-Body. The water pump is mounted remotely with an elongated pump manifold that connects it to the coolant passages. Revised oil pan baffles, or windage trays, are incorporated into the LS4 to ensure that the oil sump stays loaded during high-g cornering.

Q: Did you catch the part about the remote Water Pump ? pretty cool huh.

Should have some Kit CAr potential down the road I think, new life for an old Fiero. -Vinny
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by TRcrazy; 12-29-2013 at 11:40 PM.
    Remember, there is always next year.

Yes the ls4 swap has been done to a few fiero kits

The 3800 supercharged is simpler and cheaper and provided similar performance

i still dont understand that even today, chevy still creates pushrod engines with 2 valves per cylinder and put them in their ''power'' cars. its so incredibly inefficient

I have this engine in my fiero reventon build.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. K View Post
    i still dont understand that even today, chevy still creates pushrod engines with 2 valves per cylinder and put them in their ''power'' cars. its so incredibly inefficient
    Inefficient? The corvette gets 26mpg on the freeway and is simple and reliable .
    A 3800v6 gets 30+ mpg in a large family sedan !

They have mastered the pushrod engine

There is a guy on pennocks that had this swap done by sinister performance 4 or 5 years ago.i think ryan was the first person to unlock the computer for that engine.it even has the factory paddle shift.

The LSx family engine have been by far the best Chevy engines and maybe american engines. They put LSx engines even on fords lol cus their design is way much better.
    There is a lot if ppl who r quite knowledgeable about this engines and can supply u with everything u need to get it running.
    West coast Fireos.
    Fieroking.

I would consider swapping the whole cradle with suspension and engine/transaxle right into a Fiero. Too cool for school. -Vinny
    Remember, there is always next year.