Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Bentley Build... Any help appreciated!

Question New Bentley Build... Any help appreciated!

Hello fellow MadMechanics,

Here's the details:
    I have a good sum of cash, and alot of free time. I'm looking into a Bentley Continental build, very possibly a Vaydor build but, I was thinking down the road for that.

My experience isn't much, I have changed tires, gas tanks, brakes, hooked up stereos, painted and oil changes. (If there's a youtube video, and enough literature, I can make it happen!)

I need a four-seater and I love the Bentley, so that's how I came unto this conclusion.
    From what I've read Sebring Convertibles seem to be best? I'm not a big fan of sebring's and know that a lot of chrysler's I've been in or worked on have had their far share of issues. So is a Chrysler Sebring the way to go? I've found the CB-2 CarKitInc. kit on eBay but, as I've read it's not advised to get it shipped but, to pick it up in person (no can do as I'm Canadian, and can't leave the country, yet... long story...). So my next question becomes, what options do I have in my northern land? Also, if any Ontarians can suggest anything, kudos. I've got a couple friends who can help me but, they won't commit the kind of blood and sweat and labour in completing my dream, nor do I except them to but, more so a fellow car kit enthusiast/builder.

I can purchase Sebring's of any year and make for dirt cheap around my area ($800-$5000). Any suggestions or comments, please reply.

A parts list or checklist from any seasoned builders would be a huge bonus, too. I'm going to diarize every step and put it in the aptly names "Builder's Diaries" once I get some of the bigger parts acquired (i.e. donor car!), lol.

If anyone can suggest a better donor car, or four door replica or kits in canada, preferably ontario, or want to help build it with me or anything about starting out help a brotha out!

Thanks, Vegas.

P.S. I'm dying to do a Vaydor build but, want to shelf that until after I get my first out of the way.

I hate to spoil your dreams but the finished CB-2 cars listed on his website are not from his kits. by looking at his molds. I would expect the finished parts would need a lot of work to get them straight. To date, I haven't seen one of his CB-2 kits ever completed.

Save a lot of headaches and look into the Vaydor. You could purchase the kit already mounted to the donor, if you don't think you have enough skill to do it yourself. You won't find many kits that have a back seat. DNA in the UK has a 430 kit based on a Cougar. If you didn't install the fake motor cover. You could retain the back seat. I don't know about getting your kit into Canada. You will have to look into that.
    Last edited by MacGyver; 02-09-2014 at 06:11 PM.

Thanks for the info. I'll switch back to the Vaydor. Would it be possible to do a 4 seater Vaydor? As I ask the question, I realize how that would ruin a beautifully sculpted being that is the Vaydor!

I'm looking to spend about 20,000-50,000 if I can do the Vaydor mostly myself, I'll re-sell turnkey. As I'm a sales guru and not really a down-dirty mechanic but, knowledge is power!

About getting the kit already mounted to the donor, how would I do that, ship Matt my G35!? LOL. I'm still really revved up to do a bentley build... if anybody has one or knows of the steps involved with kit suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

Seems its very difficult to import a partially or fully built kit car into Canada , so its probably best you build it in Canada

The Bentley bodies carkitinc are selling are not the high quality fugazzi bodies - they are an inferior competitor that are so dimensionally inaccurate no one has been able to complete one

What I would do in your situation is see if any old fugazzi bentley kits come up for sale on the resale market

Keep dreaming.

you have a budget gap of $30k. Sounds a bit weird.

if you really had that much cash to throw around, you would have looked at a plethora of nice cars available in the 50k range. Especially a real Bentley.

Yeah, it doesn't sound right to me either. I think his other posts were in defense of that Murcie with the doors and hood glassed over.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by murcie-me; 02-10-2014 at 10:39 PM.

onewickedsvt, Why the criticism? I don't wish to buy or lease a high-end car when I can craft something by hand and truly enjoy the ensuing conversation about my hard work when I'm asked about said, car. No, I don't have 50,000 sitting around or I'd probably give in and buy something REAL but, over the next 6-12 months I will have residual cash to spend on my build. Currently, my goals are a donor car and kit, which I'm sure I can afford.

murcie-me, No idea what your getting at...

I'm just looking for some constructive feedback, ideas and support from other people seasoned in the kit car world.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    I'm just looking for some constructive feedback, ideas and support from other people seasoned in the kit car world. Thanks.
    Seeing as your from Canada the very first thing you need to do is go to this page "Kit Cars" in Canada - Transport Canada.
    Become very familiar with it and fully understand every word of it then contact Dept. of Transport in person and confirm in writing it ok to import what you want to import.

The only other alternative is to find a "kit" or kit builder that actually makes the kit or parts right here in Canada. Very few do and quality can be an issue.

I just find it odd that you say you don't have any experience building cars (except for changing tires and basic mechanic work), yet you come here and instead of asking (experienced) people how much things cost and what to expect to pay for having work done for you, you have your build budget set and act like its just a walk in the park.
    I'm not knocking you in any way, I just think you are going about this all wrong. Most of the experienced builders on here can tell you in an instant what something will or should cost, and if its something a first time builder should even attempt.
    There is a reason only 3% of these cars ever get completed, people either run out of time or money or both, and some just lose interest because of the time and headaches involved. Being that you are in Cananda, you have to deal with even more headaches building/registering one of these cars.
    You say that if you build a Vador that you'll probably build it to flip, and that seems a bit premature since you have no clue what the final cost of the car will be and what it will fetch ($) when complete.
    You said that you saw an opportunity to make money with the lambo in the other thread (the one that looks like it was constructed with burlap), once again with no knowledge of the car or what build costs would be to complete it to basic running/sellable order.

Quote Originally Posted by murcie-me View Post
    I just find it odd that you say you don't have any experience building cars (except for changing tires and basic mechanic work), yet you come here and instead of asking (experienced) people how much things cost and what to expect to pay for having work done for you, you have your build budget set and act like its just a walk in the park.
    I'm not knocking you in any way, I just think you are going about this all wrong. Most of the experienced builders on here can tell you in an instant what something will or should cost, and if its something a first time builder should even attempt.
    There is a reason only 3% of these cars ever get completed, people either run out of time or money or both, and some just lose interest because of the time and headaches involved. Being that you are in Cananda, you have to deal with even more headaches building/registering one of these cars.
    You say that if you build a Vador that you'll probably build it to flip, and that seems a bit premature since you have no clue what the final cost of the car will be and what it will fetch ($) when complete.
    You said that you saw an opportunity to make money with the lambo in the other thread (the one that looks like it was constructed with burlap), once again with no knowledge of the car or what build costs would be to complete it to basic running/sellable order.
    The "burlap" lambo, I was asking around locally about what on opinion only, would I be to able to get for it and what costs would be associated with finishing it. Of, course this is based on what the buyer has told me and only rough estimates on a car that I don't physically have... Is it a sound financial decision, probably not. Fun to drive, sure.

In terms of cost analysis on the Vayder, I did some more thorough research and have a mechanic shop that will do majority of the labour for advertising rights and percentage of sales, only if certain conditions are met obviously and I'm sure matt would like some recognition and consideration (This deal wasn't originally birthed via the Vayder, it was a heavy ad campaign that the shop couldn't afford and a work trade was brought up). So factoring the cost to build just one Vayder, donor's at 2,000-15,000. The kits range from 12-20K and whatever labour I can't do myself, quite a bit considering but at most, I can see it being more then 15,000 thus my end all of 50,000. Of course, there's minor things I'm not taking into account but, for the general aesthetics, it's down pat. If I can wrangle a concrete deal with this mechanic shop, I can cut that number down considerably.

You are correct in my "noob-ish" approach, as I haven't spent more then a month at most on one car and after that I was ready to torch it for insurance money. So, I hear where you are coming from. I have done ample research and thought this forum would be a good stepping stone, in terms of tips and tricks as, no one in my circle has experimented with the task of building a kit car.

I know me throwing around numbers doesn't help cause, as you said a lot of builds are abandoned due to lack of money. It's like I'm eating filet minon at the soup kitchen! LMAO.

I appreciate you taking the time to comment, knowledge is power.