Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3800 swap

3800 swap

Hi guys, I am doing a 3800sc swap in a 84 stretched fiero, I have a 4cyl, speed manual tranny.
    Will the transmission mounts stay in the same place after I install the 3800 and can I use the same transmission mounts?
    I am building a murcy 2 roadster
    Thanks
    Anthony

It really depends on your build. A few thing that will determine this are:
    1. Are you keeping the fiero transmission?
    2. Will you be using the stock rear suspension, or a wide track suspension?
    3. Will you be using the stock fiero axles?

The only need to move the tranny mounts would be to accommodate using different axles. This is usually done when a different transmission is used, usually moved to the passenger side slightly.
    If you are keeping everything stock, the engine should fit without moving the transmission mounts.

I will be using fiero transfer
    And stock axles,but I was thinking about getting some coilovers,but no wide track

The stock Fiero axels and gearbox may not handle the horsepower and torque of the 3800SC engine.

Quote Originally Posted by murcie-me View Post
    The stock Fiero axels and gearbox may not handle the horsepower and torque of the 3800SC engine.
    They can take quite a bit. You would be ok with this setup as long as you don't do burnouts. I had a stock setup mated to a chevy 350, only time I broke a cv joint was when I spun the tires. The trick is to get the car moving, then you can accelerate hard.

If its possible to snap an axel then they are obviously underated for the power of the engine. You shouldn't have to be "careful" not to break your axels or gearbox when you drive your car lol.
    Last edited by murcie-me; 02-16-2014 at 12:04 AM.

I'm not an expert on this by any means, I have never driven or experienced a Fiero manual matted to a 3800SC but that is the path I chose to go down! First rather than using the transmission that came with the car I hunted down a Getrag 282 Muncie from a later Fiero (Good luck finding one of those) and spent a lot of time making my 3800SC a manual. At the time my understanding was that this was the best option since I wanted to be able to shift through the gears etc. Now I'm wishing I had just purchased the much cheaper more attainable automatic that came with this engine! Not only did I spend a lot of time and money making my car a 5spd but chances are I'll have more issues down the road. I have also made it a tad harder by switching over to the 5spd, what I mean is finding a remote starter will be a touch harder/more expensive. And lastly I'll have to buy a Mastershift kit at $2,500 just to make my gorgeous paddle shifter from Murci-Me work! When it came to motor mounts it was fairly easy, I used all the mounts from the Fiero engine and transmission, I would recommend just buying new ones they are very cheap! I purchased a motor mount adapter plate from West Coast Fiero's for the front of the engine for like $55.00 and that was all that was needed aside from a dog bone. I would recommend getting the automatic transmission from wherever you got your engine and if you feel the need to shift through the gears contact Murci-Me about some paddles and get yourself a mastershift kit! If I could start over this is what I would have done! Good luck!!!
    Last edited by Purple LP670 SV; 02-16-2014 at 06:43 AM.

Thanks guys, before I put everything together, what tranny do you think I should use to handle the power without changing a lot of stuff.
    I may do this down the road. I also purchased a high performance clutch.
    Murcie how much is your paddle system. Also can you program a micro controller or a program.
    I also need dimensions for door hinges,maybe I need to start a new post for that.

4T65E-HD would probably be your best option and the one I wish I had gone with, that is if you don't mind having an automatic! If this is fine with you you could get some shift paddles and use the Mastershift kit to shift through the gears. If you are dead set on having a manual, which I'm in the process of doing, you will need something more substantial than the one you have. I got myself a Getrag 282 which like I said are hard to find, not impossible but it is a 5 spd and from what I'm told a lot stronger than the previous Isuzu transmissions. I know there are other options out there I'm just not familiar with all of them. I believe there is a 6 spd option from a Cobalt or something along those lines out there as well! I'm sure there are others more educated in this than I am and will chime in!

never had the Getrag unit but I did had 5 speed mated to bit built up chevy 171. I managed to crack couple outer CV boots but trans was holding up. Thinking about it I should have kept that trans instead of giving up.