Thread: 430 mirrors help needed

430 mirrors help needed

Hi Guys !

I'm breaking my head on my 430 mirrors.... I have created a folding mechanism, which works perfectly. I made it in the upper "leg"...

At the moment I'm breaking my head on what kind of system to put in there... I cant just put a stew through there as it wont be folding anymore...

Below are some pics of my challenge...

Nomal podition:

Fully folded. You can see the mechanism in the upper "leg":

Parts seperated:
    Last edited by dman1409; 02-16-2014 at 06:30 PM.

As shown, I made a rail in the top "leg" that slides over the folding mechanism on the triangular part... So i need some kind of system that I can fasten from onderneath the lower leg...

Als the canles have to run through the lover leg... Around the system or throug it...
    Last edited by dman1409; 02-16-2014 at 06:52 PM.

So i need a system that joins the upper and lower part together, which allows the folding motion, is strirdy, is able withstand vibrations while driving, can be fastened from underneath, that leave enough space for the cables...

I haven thinking about putting a bearring in.. But that will rust...(and stainless bearings are sick expensive)...

Dies anyone have any ideas??!!

All ideas are welcome!

Cheers

I was thinking you could mold in a bronze bushing in the bottom, maybe with a small plate with a threaded hole, then use a shouldered screw to secure it.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Looks like one of my never ending projects.

How about looking at a few OEM mirrors of various makes and see if you could adapt the parts to yours. It would also be good if they also clicked into position or does the top one do that already?

Take note that the plastic resin your mirrors are probably made from is somewhat week and brittle compared to regular plastic used by a manufacturer.

One more thing to worry about would be to precisely put the bottom mount in the correct position otherwise the top and bottom would fight over one another and break.

I’m glad you’re working on this instead of me. I would get frustrated and wing it across the driveway if it didn’t work.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Looks like one of my never ending projects.

How about looking at a few OEM mirrors of various makes and see if you could adapt the parts to yours. It would also be good if they also clicked into position or does the top one do that already?

Take note that the plastic resin your mirrors are probably made from is somewhat week and brittle compared to regular plastic used by a manufacturer.

One more thing to worry about would be to precisely put the bottom mount in the correct position otherwise the top and bottom would fight over one another and break.

I’m glad you’re working on this instead of me. I would get frustrated and wing it across the driveway if it didn’t work.
    Whahaaha yeah i know what you mean!! And yes the mechanism at the top click's it in place... Works like a charm!

However, i found the solution, which my friendly neighborhood xisco provided me!! That guy is a great help and knows what he's doing...

I'm going for a similar system, only i'm gong to use a shouldered bushing in te middle, instead of the big nut, so i can guide the wites through it... I will use carton templates to check if the top and bottom dont fight over eachother...

RCR's idea also sounds good! I'll considder that aswell...

Thanx for allt your comments!!

Cheers
    Last edited by dman1409; 02-19-2014 at 05:55 PM.