Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: phils folley --- murcie build

Patron Class Member

phils folley --- murcie build

Hello, my name is Phil and am posting my first Lambo build. At 67, I have built and restored at least 30 cars over the past 50+ years as a hobby. I recently sold my Factory Five Cobra and wanted a new project. I decided to tackle building a Lambo from scratch which has proven to be by far the most difficult and time-consuming project I have ever taken on.

I bought the Murcie I body, 88 Fiero chassis, a low mileage 95 GTP motor and trans from a forum classified ad and had it shipped from Florida to Maryland for $700.

After more research and reading everything on Mad Mechanics, Pennocks, Kit Central, and others, I decided I wanted all the Pontiac GTP options (HVAC, wiring, radio, heads-up display, etc.) so I purchased a wrecked 04 GTP and completely stripped it, thus my folly began! I will emphasize that I am not attempting to duplicate a Lambo. I am building a car that will be fast, good looking and will have all the creature comforts plus resemble a customized Lambo. In other words, I am building it to suit myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Looks like you are off to a good start. I wish you luck. Please keep us up to date on your build.

Hi Phill,

What a lovely garage! Wish I have a bridge like that!!

Will be following this one closely!

Phil;

I see you have two threads going now. I suggest you abandon one and just reply to the other thread. Also, maybe ask the mods to move to the Build Diaries section?

Keep up the good work and updates though.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Patron Class Member

Phils folley

Mild engine mods, small pulley, nice stainless headers, and paint. May do more later. A Champion radiator was mounted in front with a big fan. Went with early rebuilt Chevy power steering rack.

The Fiero was almost completely rust free and was semi-stripped when I bought it. I did the Fiero stretch per the B&B Customs web site and many other helpful build libraries recommendations and it worked great. I reinforced the chassis, sides, front, and rear with $350 worth of steel. It is very rigid. I originally planned to run an X frame under the car but didn't think it was necessary. A jack on one corner will lift half the car with absolutely no sign of flex or stress.

I studied the options for mounting the engine and auto trans and decided to go all standard Pontiac. I used both Pontiac mounts and welded in the dog bones. I had to notch the chassis on the right side and extend the flat area for mounting. Then I fabricated a new bracket for the left side and bolted to the cradle. The engine oil pan sits about " above the cradle bottom. Very easy and cheap to do plus with factory mount, I should have no vibrations, etc. Axles are modified Gran Prix on the right and Fiero manual on the left.

Patron Class Member

Phils folley

More pictures

Patron Class Member

Phils folley

To my surprise, the Grand Prix dash fits perfectly in the Fiero, but the HVAC required major cutting and fabrication to fit. The end result will be massive heat and really cold A/C. My wife does not like my seats!

Patron Class Member

Phils folley

Front and rear suspension has been completely rebuilt to stock 88 Fiero standards with all-poly bushings. Did my first powder coating on the springs and arms. It worked well. My wife would not let me use her oven so I bought a double oven from Craig's List and converted it into a single large oven which works great. It's large enough to bend or melt my Lexan door windows plus coat some pretty big stuff. Body work, doors, and glass cutting are next on my list. Of course, I have helpers!

Phil, it is a good thing she did not let you use her oven. I found out the hard way that cakes and cookies taste like Harbor Freight after using the kitchen oven for powder coating.

Hey Phil, you are really tearing into this project and getting massive amounts of work done! It's coming along great! Welcome to the site!