Thread: question for DKOV

question for DKOV

I remember you having a 3.4 in your fiero/kitcar/whatever but I am curious as to what trany you ended up using. My 3.4 was mated to the original fiero getreg, but lately have been looking for ways to lower the final gear ratio, since I feel its slightly too high. Any thoughts on the matter?

Re: question for DKOV

First a question...

By your screen name I assume the 3.4 you are referring to is a DOHC and not a push rod motor?

If it is a 1991 - 1996 3.4L Twin Dual Cam or Dual Overhead Cam motor then I can answer you but I have no experience with the 3.4L Pushrod motor.

With my 3.4L TDC, I used the Getrag 284 tranny that was released on the first few limited Grand Prix GTPs. Not the stock 282 Getrag that came in the Fiero.

Even so, 1st gear is very short as the motor blows through it super fast. It's almost as fast starting off the line in 2nd

Of course, with having such a quick 1st gear, the venerable burnout is a simple deal

The Fiero 4 speeds actually offer a better gear ratio for the ultra high revving 3.4L DOHC or TDC motor but lacks "flair".

As for the stock Getrag 282 (Fiero) versus the Getrag 284 (Grand Prix) the gearing is just a BIT taller but not much. Enough to feel but not really enough to say that it's a TON better.

Where you notice it is in 3rd - 5th gear. 1st and 2nd feel very close to the same. However, because of the massive HP increase on my motor, 1st and 2nd seem short because of the tiem it takes to reve the rpms up to shift point... FAST.

I hope this helps and doesn't just add more confusion. The short end of the point is that I am VERY happy witht he 284 and like it better than the 282. Just my opinion.

Best,

DKOV -

You assume correct about the 3.4 TDC (1996 to be exact). I had talked to you about this a while back as I was one of the few others on the fiero board that had this conversion (well, techincally helped with the conversion for Mike Smith, then late bought the car from him). I have been quiet for some time on the boards. Anyway, what brought this up is the fact that with the getreg 282 and a 7k RPM redline you can basicly get to 100MPH in third gear. That seems a tad high and I believe makes it feel like I have basicly no torgue/power until around 3000 rpms. So looking for options as to potentially lowering the final gear ratio. I would like to stick with a 5 speed, and ideally just replace the ring and pinion out to be a slightly lower gear. I'm curious as to what the gearing is in the 284.

Of course, I am still toying with the idea of super charging this motor. Perhaps some day...

Sounds like it's not to far off... 120 - 125 is about all I can pull out of 3rd with the 284. The last time I drove it on the track with someone else in the car, the Instructor that was with me demanded that I keep it below 130, so I never used 5th gear

Apparently the off balance left front wheel/tire was giving him some heart burn or something...

DKOV -

Also, what year 3.4 TDC/DOHC did you install? There is a difference between the pre 96, and post 96 versions. If you you have a pre 96, that would explain why I think you get more torque then I (or at least it that seems to be the case).

My motor is one of the very first motors they "released" in 1991. In fact, one of 80 motors. From then on, the motors seemed to differ slightly changing in the first part of 1991 though 1992. Changed again in late 1992 through 1995. Then another change in 1996 and early 1997.

From my understanding, there were no motors past that late 1996/early 1997 release.

The only motors that were mated to the factory 284s came out in 1992 with the exeptions of the "first run" motors released in late 1991.

Yes, quite a bit more torque in those early motors. So much, in fact, that it was a standing recall to have them torn down and rebuilt with forged components. Which mine has... although not before spinning my #5 rob bearing and torquing the crank.

Under warranty though, and all replaced.

Now, my only issue is trying to be more gentle on the gearbox. I'm not tearing it down to replace the second gear synchros!

That, after 150,000 miles of burnouts and 140+ mph runs

Not to bad if you ask me!

DKOV -

I knew there was some variations of this motor, but didnt realize there was as big a difference in them as there is. The 1996 (mine) is a great motor, but its more oriented toward lots of power at higher rpms, and thus lacks low end torque that the previous generations had. My potential solutions are to 1) use a lower final gearing. 2) roots supercharge the heck out of it. 3) do both

I have always been toying with #2 as a solution, but a lower final gear might also help.

After stuffing one of these into a Fiero, I don't think a Super Charger is possible... The Pulley side of the motor is right up against the passenger side of the car. I can't image there being room. Parhaps on TOP of the motor, but in that case, you'd have to "dome" or cut out your rear decklid to clear. The motor is pretty darn close there too...

What I would, actually AM, doing, is add a nice juicy Turbo Charger

With that, and some other preventative maintenance, I think that 500 HP could be reached. I know of two people that have got 450+ from Turbo Charged 3.4L DOHC motors...

My motor is getting torn down for that "preventative maintenance" I mentiond... maybe in a couple of weeks. The tranny is getting built up too. The Turbo will be added upon reinstallation.

500+ HP... Here I come

DKOV -

Well, from what I have seen there is room for a super charger on top, driven by the idler pulley that is now in place of where the power steering pump used to be. The only issue that I see is a possible problem with the bracing that is under that side of the decklid. Still, it seems doable. I wouldn't mind rebuilding my spare motor up for all this though, but I need to find a new head (one is cracked) before I did that.