Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which rad should I use, opinions needed?

Which rad should I use, opinions needed?

Greetings from Ontario, Canada. I'm in the very early stages of my build and need opinions regarding which rad to use.

I'm using an LS6 engine from a 2002 Z06 and wonder if anyone has used the Griffin rad in a similar application. The rad I'm looking at is 13" X 22" X 3", I believe it's a dual core?

If anyone has used an LS6 or similar engine which rad would you recommend?

Thanks,
    Mike

Anyone using an LS series engine care to suggest or provide input as to what I should be looking for in choosing a rad?

Thanks,
    Mike

Use the largest radiator you can fit into the available space. Frontal area is more important than thickness. Aluminum radiators work well. By dual core do you mean dual pass? On some radiators the water passes through from one side to the other and then back again so the inlet and outlet are on the same side.

There are both "dual pass" and "dual core" radiators, and even 3 core. Dual pass radiators only cool 5% better than standard or dual core, but can cost twice to 3 times as much as a dual core. My car has 2 dual core civic radiators, each with 2 fans (one on the front side pushing, and one on back side pulling)
    Without talent experience is worthless

Thanks for your input guys. I have approximately 22" X 13" to work with and thickness is not really a challenge. It was suggested that a rad with matching dimensions and 3" thick from Griffin be considered, so I will look into this.

murcie-me, did your engine size (horsepower) dictate the need or desire for 2 rads or was there another reason to choose this set-up?

Im hoping that a high-end fan will help with the cooling effort on the pull side, however, with 13" I'm limited with the size of fan I can use. Is a shroud a necessity or just helpful?

Thanks again for help,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Brock View Post
    Im hoping that a high-end fan will help with the cooling effort on the pull side, however, with 13" I'm limited with the size of fan I can use. Is a shroud a necessity or just helpful? Thanks again for help, Mike
    More overheating problem occur for builders due to the lack of a shroud than any other single item. Use one !!!

Look into getting some Spal fans , they are some of the best I have ever used .

Radiator Shroud

Hi Guys, I have attached a pic of the radiators in a 25th Countach so I will give you an idea what it takes to cool a 5ltr motor in a small space, notice that they use a shroud,and the radiator is a good 3 inches thick, this is the restore I have been following, well worth a read, lots of good photos. Countach Anniversary Restoration - PistonHeads
    They appear to be run in parallel, I always thought the Countach was run in series.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Lambolex; 03-10-2014 at 03:13 PM.

I was looking at that thread. (the one of the restoration) Is anyone else surprised at how ugly some of those welds are? Not what I would expect from the Davinci of automotive frames. I was expecting to see perfect stacks of dimes on every weld. Like this one...
    Name:  hca238.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  50.8 KB instead of this....
    Name:  DSC_3570_zps3c770b97.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  364.4 KB

The top pic is Tig welded and the bottom one is Mig welded prob due to the gauge difference.