Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could anyone design/engineer plans for Carbon Fiber Tub / Monocoque Chassis?

Could anyone design/engineer plans for Carbon Fiber Tub / Monocoque Chassis?

Is anyone here able to (or refer me to someone who can) design and engineer a carbon fiber tub or monocoque chassis? I'd like to purchase plans or 3d CAD file complete with FEA and layup schedules. Thanks

Dr, unless you have access to a very large autoclave you will be just as well off building a tube and sheet metal modular tub. From my understanding of this the strength of the curing process under vacuum and high heat is what makes the carbon fiber suitable for a monocoque tub.

Good luck with your endeavor though!

Mike

I don't think you grasp how expensive such technology is.

Quote Originally Posted by onewickedsvt View Post
    I don't think you grasp how expensive such technology is.
    .....I didn't say that I wanted that machine...I only referenced it because of the lack of use of an autoclave
    Last edited by doctor bombeii; 04-10-2014 at 08:45 AM.

I think your overlooking something ... there is a lack of chassis builders in the G7 aftermarket countries for a reason ... they have to be certified by engineers, crash tested extensively and marketed to be lawyer proof. If your chassis fails for any reason your going to be sued beyond belief. The liability concerns make chassis building a Very Poor Business. What remains of the kit car industry pretty much only provides fiberglass bodies with fewer and fewer providing turnkey cars due to being shut down or sued constantly. If you have the capital to startup in this industry take your money and buy the real deal with money left over. IMHO

ooops .. deleted comments .. having a grumpy day !!!
    Last edited by CARBUILDER; 04-08-2014 at 09:18 AM.

"But who is to say that the builder would not get recognized by an auto manufacturer or race team and get offered something like a Project Manager position?"

Is the the polyanna world today's universities have created? Are today's grads really this naive?
    Last edited by aflo; 04-08-2014 at 09:27 PM.

I own a business where we do R&D and prototyping for the automotive industry. we are currently doing a technical scope of work and a feasibility study for a small manufacture interested in building specialties limited-run vehicles. I'm also prototyping one of my own designs for a carbon monocoque chassis that we will be using in a very exclusive very small number production vehicle. here's a quick break down of just some large item and preliminary cost.
    600 hours of engineering work, design work and analysis time at a rate of $165 per hour.
    Our lower monocoque consumes 35 yards of carbon fiber in the first lay up schedule before structural cores!
    we have a 1000 cubic foot post curing oven that cycles are structural carbon fiber at a curing rate of 380 degrees Fahrenheit over a 8 hour. With a ramp up for the first three hours and then a two hour hold and a ramp down for the next 3 hours.
    then you will need all sorts of materials for the molds, which have to be post cured at 410 degrees Fahrenheit so that they can be thermally stable so that your parts don't warp.....resins, epoxy, structural cores, machined inserts for subframe mounting.. Etc...
    if I had to put a rough cost on all of the above mentioned items and labor, you are looking right around $200,000.00
    Good luck with your project. ☺

Koenigsegg uses a similar tub but they use honey comb carbon. Maybe look into that?

Im thinking of plastic forming my panels on the cheap by using caveman technology...
    The underground oven.
    http://i.imgur.com/qijCZ.jpg
    Follow my designs on Facebook fan pages. http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts