Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about registration.

Question about registration.

Lets say for example you purchased a Pontiac fiero for your build which is registered and insured as such. You maintain the registration and insurance and complete your build changing nothing on the Pontiac frame and have maintained the integrity of the VIN numbers and plates.

Are you operating the vehicle with the registration still showing up as a Pontiac fiero? Or is the registration being modified by DMV to show as a specialty car? Also has anyone had problems with law enforcement with regards to this? I'm asking because I have maintained my registration and insurance as a Pontiac fiero however I am constantly getting pulled over, not for any moving violation but simply because cops pull up behind me and see a countach, run the plate to see who's driving and the DMV file comes up as a fiero so they think it's a miss use of registration plates. Once they see my paperwork and confirm the VIN number and they see it's a kit I'm good to go. Just wonder if anyone else has the same problem. I know DMV rules are different state to state. I'm located in Connecticut.

Nothing? Anyone out there?

Quote Originally Posted by psn497 View Post
    Nothing? Anyone out there?
    In PA,same problem, you have to get Special Constructed Vehicle title to drive w/o problems from the police, except for them pulling you over to get a better look at the car.

Quote Originally Posted by psn497 View Post

...cops pull up behind me and see a countach, run the plate to see who's driving ...
    i'd be real interested to hear a lawyer's opinion on this. I thought they needed to have "probable cause", even to run the plates. Next time you get pulled over, ask them why. If they tell you they ran your plates, ask why they did that - did you do something wrong ? It would be a real shame if cops could just randomly run plates at will just to check up on people.

Also, to answer your question, I've had no problems like that. High buck cars are not unusual around here though. People will rent a room for $450 a month and lease a lambo for $1500 a month to park on the street outside.
    Last edited by Corson008; 04-16-2014 at 06:15 AM.

Corson008 here is something most people don't know. Your correct in that "probable cause' is needed. The system used in the US is called the NCIC system or National Crime Institute Computer system which is connected to the DMV or Department of Motor vehicle file system. Law enforcement officers are allowed access to these files during an investigation in which a "lawful" motor vehicle stop was conducted, ie; observed on cell phone, not wearing seat belts, speeding etc (you get the point). Simply pulling up behind a car and running the plate "first" without an observed violation is in fact a Federal Violation by the officer which can result in the officer being brought up on federal charges. This was put into place so officers could not use the system for "personal knowledge or gain". There have been many cases when officers have been fired for abusing the system by running plates to gain knowledge for personnel.

That's what I thought. I also wasn't sure how that might have been changed by the Patriot Act. Around here, the cops (and everyone else) pretty much does what they want until someone stops them. One night i pulled out of a club and was a few blocks away when I noticed a cop on a side street. Cop pulled out and behind me. Came to a STOP sign and I made a complete stop, waited a few seconds, then proceeded forward. On comes the lights. I asked the cop "why are you pulling me over - i did NOTHING wrong. She says "Are your windows tinted". I said "I'm not sure, they were like that when I bought the car". She takes a closer look and says "yes, they're tinted. Then that's why I pulled you over". !!!!!

I used to drive home after closing the bar and was getting sopped all the time. Usually it was "I thought your tail light was out, but it's not" I actually didn't mind because I knew that they were trying to keep drunk drivers off the road. but I began avoiding the road at those hours. I haven't been pulled over because of my Fiero looking like a Lambo.

Interesting thread and a topic I've been thinking a lot about lately, since I began constructing my car. I have a similar question, but I'll start a new topic.

Quote Originally Posted by dratts1 View Post
    I used to drive home after closing the bar and was getting sopped all the time. Usually it was "I thought your tail light was out, but it's not" I actually didn't mind because I knew that they were trying to keep drunk drivers off the road. but I began avoiding the road at those hours. I haven't been pulled over because of my Fiero looking like a Lambo.
    Just noticed my typo. "getting sopped all the time" Cracked myself up! I dropped the "T" in stopped.

I've been pulled over almost every time I take my car out. Several (3) times i've been ordered out of the car at gunpoint, laid face down in the middle of the street and cuffed, then placed in the back of the cruiser while they search my car.
    They always say the same thing,- "they thought it was a stolen car" lol. The police around my area know me now, so its not bad as long as I stay in my neighborhood.
    Yes they are not allowed to run a plate at random, but they do it all the time. If it ever went to court, they would just deny it and come up with some phoney reason why they ran the plate. Nobody polices the police, they have free reign to do whatever they want.
    Without talent experience is worthless