Thread: Fiero 308 Replica Extended Windscreen Choices

Question Fiero 308 Replica Extended Windscreen Choices

I've done several searches on the subject and gotten some info. I've heard from different sources that the mid 90's Sebring windscreen will work with some modifications, as will certain Geo Metro applications.

I'm looking for everyone's experiences with what will fit with the least amount of alteration, providing a reasonable extension at the bottom coming close to replicating the actual screen in a "real" 308.

I do realize there's nothing anywhere that is going to be "perfect", but we are talking about a reasonable facsimile that provides the look better than the stock Fiero screen.

Appreciate any and all responses, like I said, looking for other guys experiences, as I'm sure there are plenty that have investigated this and found something that works for them.

I'm told the Geo screen is too narrow at the top, but otherwise isn't bad. I've seen the Sebring screen used, and it looks like you'd either have to fabricate your own A pillars, or end up with them being too wide if you adapt to the existing Fiero frame.

I've seen reference to "shaving" down an existing screen, is this something that can be done at home, or is it hired out to a glass installer, just what does this entail?

Also, I do know about the "custom" screens, and that may end up being a viable option, but I want to see what can be done with less expensive means first.

Thanks in advance for any info provided.

HAGO!

I have a extended windshield for a Fiero that is ready to install. It was modified from a Plymouth Breeze. looks very close to the windshields made by Trever many years ago. That is what I used on my build. All you would need to do is make a tray for it. Give me a PM if your interested.
    Last edited by MacGyver; 04-26-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Tdw;

Sean's screen would be a good call if you can get it to your place. His fit very nicely.

The Sebring screen works fairly well but you are correct where the lower edges of the screen are narrower than the Ferro but the Fiero a-pillars can be filled in to compensate. the other item as well is that the mid section of the a-pillar also has a bit more curve so you would need to fill in the gap to get a good seal. Sean did the same with his Breeze screen and it worked very well.

The Geo has narrower top and bottom and squared off top corners vs. the rounded Fiero and Ferrari. If you can find a couple ad custom screens, those will probably be your best bet. I think Amida has a couple for sale still. shipping is always hairy though. I lost two Contact screens due to poor shipping handling....

If you can track down a mid 90's Sebring coupe, has to be a coupe, at a wrecker or an old screen sitting around a glass shop, you can try it out for shape and size.

Good luck on the elusive search.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Bozzie just installed a 96 Sebring screen in his custom Fiero. Here's what it looks like... Project "off the Rickst'er Scale" begins - Pennock's Fiero Forum

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Thanks Don and Bob for your input.
    I got my initial info about the Sebring and Geo screens from you Don, and had it re-affirmed when talking to other builders.
    Bob, I did see Bozzie's build, that's what I was basing my observation concerning the Sebring glass on. It could be made to work, but like I said, I'm looking for the least amount of work-expenditure to produce the best looking end result.
    Seems like the A pillars could be cut and moved some, but that opens a different can of worms, but the Sebring glass would leave the pillars waay too wide to look anything like a 308 to my eye, but, I've been wrong before!

Anyway, I agree, Sean's glass looks like a good alternative, but there's that "shipping" thing to contend with. Not planning on being down south anytime soon, (or at all asfaik..), so it would have to be shipped, or brought back by somebody coming this way from that.

Have been in contact with Sean and we'll see what can be worked out. In the mean time, I do have many other projects going on. Like I told Sean, I'm still in the "collecting parts" mode at this stage, though I do have my body now, and quite a few other pieces.

Thanks again for all your responses, and I'm open to any and all suggestions....keep in mind....I've been alive long enough to have heard all the negative ones! So I guess I should qualify it by saying all positive suggestions, I'd be open to!

Thanks & HAGO!

Sage?? I'm most interested in your findings. I was thinking of trying to cut one down. My Traverse needs a windshield, so I was planning on practicing on it. Other than that, just keeping my eyes open.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Thanks Don, I'm gonna need all the luck I can get! You've already helped me more than I can thank you for, can't wait to see your ride being ridden, er, Driven!

Bob, yep, you got me. Guess the well wishes are a dead give-a-way

Heard back from Sean, and really wish I could just bop down to FL and pick that up, but don't see that happening anytime soon.

He has graciously offered to walk us through the process of "cutting one down", so if we can get him to do a "how to", maybe we can both get what we need. That'd be really useful info either way, cause what do you do when you need a replacement otherwise?

So, we'll see what develops.

HAGO!