Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: automatic transmission

Cool automatic transmission

I have automatic 88 Fiero and I have a LS1 engine I am planning to installing. I have read numerous of post on manual vs automatic and the cost but no direct answer if it can be done. So my question what do I need in parts and what automatic transmission would be best to handle the extra hp? Cost is no problem.

Sell the ls1 and get a ls4 engine and transmission combo out of a impala SS from 2005

They are designed as a unit. Just like you take a 3800 and auto tranny swap from a gm front wheel drive car you can do the same with the ls4

I agree with Fauxrrari, use the LS4 combination. They are reasonably cheap and produce good power. Check with Triple Edge Performance, Triple Edge Performance - Home Page for upgrades to that transmission. I make an adapter to use the LS1 with the transverse transmissions but it makes more sense to use the LS4 as it just bolts up.

Even though I've broken three input shafts I have to agree. That is the same transmission that the quick 1/4 mile Fieros are using but with a few beefed up parts. If you stay stock LS4 I think that you might be able to get away with an input shaft and chain upgrade. My installer sells engine/tranny mounts and wiring harnesses. That's about as close as you're going to get to a "bolt in"
    Last edited by dratts1; 04-29-2014 at 11:49 AM.

The ls3 engine is good choise??and what automatic transsmition can be use??

You can use the LS3 but will need an adapter. Better to use the LS4 engine. The transmission to use is the 4T65E that is used with the LS4 engine. Triple Edge Performance does an upgraded build on these to take higher HP engines.

Quote Originally Posted by txbuilder View Post
    You can use the LS3 but will need an adapter. Better to use the LS4 engine. The transmission to use is the 4T65E that is used with the LS4 engine. Triple Edge Performance does an upgraded build on these to take higher HP engines.
    I agree. The other LS engines are in great demand for rwd cars and you can get a better price for it. You can sell it for more than the cost of an LS4 which is already made for a transverse install. If you are going longitudinal the other LS engines will work better but it's gonna cost more than a transverse install.

Quote Originally Posted by georgezalo View Post
    The ls3 engine is good choise??and what automatic transsmition can be use??
    No not the ls3

The ls4. It was used in gm front wheel
    Drive cars . You want the whole ls4 engine /:transmission units taken out of a donor car

if i use ls4 is for fwd cars???if i want rwd??the aytomatic transmission for ls3 have padels like f1 cars?

Quote Originally Posted by georgezalo View Post
    if i use ls4 is for fwd cars???if i want rwd??the aytomatic transmission for ls3 have padels like f1 cars?
    Yo would take the entire drivetrain from the front and put it into the rear, that will give you RWD