Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: transmissions transmissions transmissions.. please help with selection

transmissions transmissions transmissions.. please help with selection

I'm searching like crazy and getting tons of different views but nothing definitive

sbc to manual trans in a kit car. I will have between 500hp to 600hp.

I've read the Audi, the g50, the 012 etc. can someone suggest a trans for this set up?

also if you know the dimensions of the trans that would help. for example how far are the drive shafts from mating surface of motor, over all length etc.

i'm sorry guys not trying to get anyone to do my homework i'm just not getting anywhere reading a bunch of debates from people.

I too am trying to get a feeling for what trans I should get. I'm using an older SBC 305, so probably a 914 will be my only option.

For that HP I heard the Boxter (sp?) is a good choice.

You didnt give a budget but this might get you going

Gearbox survival will be directly porportional to how you intend to drive with 5-600HP having said that

Audi:
    012 - NO
    016 - be nice
    01X - be nice
    01E - will survive behind 6-700 hp

Porsche:
    914 - forget about it
    915 - skip unless you strengthen
    930 - 4 spd GREAT if you can find it, need to flip 700 hp easy
    g50 - great, need to flip, look for the 50-50 or 50-52 getting harder to find
    g6x - great, need to flip

ZF:
    Great first gen need to have the ring gear changed and saftey wired

Ricardo:
    great, nearly bullet proof

Cima / gearfox:
    great but $$$$

Graziano
    great box

thanks guys.

Adrian i punched in 01E on ebay and a couple different once popped. looked like a four wheel drive trans. can you help me out?

Don't go near the 4 wheel drive boxes they cant be converted to 2wd and stay together, a 2wd o1e should be ok for what you want.

Lambolex is right, the audi 4wd boxes cannot be modded, however the porsche boxes have been successfully.

I also forgot tha add the subaru box, I have not heard a lot about them but they have been said to be able to survive quite a bit of abuse after they have beend modded

thanks guys.

so 01E 2wd tranny should do the trick.

i'm on it

The FWD 01E boxes where not used in any of the cars imported to the US. They are available from a few people who import them. Check with Scott at Advanced Automotion in Corpus Cristi TX. He can supply a rebuilt one and offers different gear ratios and an LSD for them. I do the adapters for them.

Hey Brian, Dont know how deep your packets are but try looking at G86 or G87 transmissions from Boxter or Cayman. They are fairly short about 28" I believe with 8" bell housing to axle mount about the same size as the 012. 5 speeds you may get for about a grand 6speeds are considerably more.

Quote Originally Posted by chimaera View Post
    Hey Brian, Dont know how deep your packets are but try looking at G86 or G87 transmissions from Boxter or Cayman. They are fairly short about 28" I believe with 8" bell housing to axle mount about the same size as the 012. 5 speeds you may get for about a grand 6speeds are considerably more.
    Thanks Jerry, well I'm thinking of a $4k budget right now for trans options. could be more if needed but that's where I'd like to stay around.