Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: there has to be better plans out there for chassis... please help

there has to be better plans out there for chassis... please help

so i'm looking and looking and looking .... is there a thread, book, example etc. of chassis ideas. i haven't started my build yet but getting info and starting to order parts for obvious things i know i'm going to need but i can not find much for chassis info other then what seems to be custom stuff. i know that's going to be a big part of it but...

ok, i'm planning on keeping the tub from my fiero and modifying it to the kit(lengthen/shorten, wider or skinnier etc.) but i want to build a front and rear cradle/frame as i feel it will be easier to build the mounting structure for the kit then trying to modify the fiero adding weight to what is already there vs starting from scratch minimizing the weight and giving me more options for suspension(pretty sure i'm going c5 vette set up) does anyone have a thread or can point me in a direction for making these two section. the rear will have a Chevy sbc mated to an 01E trans with (probably) c5 front and rear control arms/suspension.

ANY info will be great appreciated.

Thanks
    Brian

If you are going to go as far as completely redoing the front and rear suspension you might as well start from scratch and build the whole thing. Believe me you will be way ahead if you do.

How about the modern Boxster with a rear cradle? (excluding Lambo replicas where the steering wheel is car forward)
    Last edited by ArashB; 05-03-2014 at 06:05 PM.
    Follow my designs on Facebook fan pages. http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts

Quote Originally Posted by txbuilder View Post
    If you are going to go as far as completely redoing the front and rear suspension you might as well start from scratch and build the whole thing. Believe me you will be way ahead if you do.
    ... i dont know.. i'm just trying not to turn this into a five year project that i want to sell in 2 years lol i figure if i can use the passenger compartment i could just save a little time plus i would have the jump on interior options since there are a few kits out there for the fiero interiors.

the car is not a lambo replica this is a 1 off body and i'm going to have my hands full getting it to fit as it is so just trying to make what i can a little easier.

Quote Originally Posted by ArashB View Post
    How about the modern Boxster with a rear cradle? (excluding Lambo replicas where the steering wheel is car forward)
    i'll check into it. i bet i'm going to end up doing what txbuilder said and have to make a complete chassis

Not up to date on chassis build sites right now but the guys up here (Canada) used the Fiero tub as complete as possible to retain the AC, heater, vin number, dash, interior panels, seat, brake and gas petals, etc. You get the idea - its all laid out and parts available by GM. Instead of messing with adding front and rear cradles and suspension to the tub, a rolling chassis/frame was built similar to the old VW beetle and the fiero tub bolted/welded on top of it. Somewhere on the net there should be build info.

Quote Originally Posted by CARBUILDER View Post
    Not up to date on chassis build sites right now but the guys up here (Canada) used the Fiero tub as complete as possible to retain the AC, heater, vin number, dash, interior panels, seat, brake and gas petals, etc. You get the idea - its all laid out and parts available by GM. Instead of messing with adding front and rear cradles and suspension to the tub, a rolling chassis/frame was built similar to the old VW beetle and the fiero tub bolted/welded on top of it. Somewhere on the net there should be build info.
    thanks for the tip

Camaroman, You might want to take a look at this chassis. stricklandracinginc's Library | Photobucket I agree totally with what Eric said. If you are going to change everything on a Fiero, it is just not worth it or economically sound to salvage a floorpan and an air conditioner. This chassis comes with a VIN and MCO

bought the naerc plans off eBay last night. i think I'll mod those to fit the kit. plans look really good and only $10.

one of my friends own a 240 shop had once told me. Just because you have something on hand it does not mean that its the best thing to use. I had gone through 2 different versions of frame and on 3 now that I'm finally happy with not counting other odds and ends for it. I never thought about his comment much till just recently.