Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buildng a car body's buck!

Buildng a car body's buck!

Hello everybody! I'm new on this forum, but I'm very inspired by all of your work guys! I still can't imagine how you build car body from nothing.. Wow. So, you inspired me to build something of my own. The thing is I can't really find detailed information how to build car body buck. I recently made my 3ds max 3D model. The model is exact size, 1:1 scale. And now it's a dead end.. I can't figure it out how to make exact size pieces to make my buck. So guys, I would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction! Thanks! ))

a start

I would slice the car in your 3D program, print the sections in real size, get wood cutouts from it, assemble it all, fill it with foam, rough-finish it, and then, if you can afford it, cover it all with automotive grade clay to finish the surface. From there, getting molds will be the easy part and you can replicate your design fairly eaisly.
    Look for the Bailey Blade you tube channel. Pretty comprehensive and Neil Bailey did exactly what you intend on doing.
    Last edited by brunobalestra; 05-05-2014 at 08:48 AM. Reason: wrong spelling at the end

Do you have any idea of how hard this is to do?
    99% of people trying this would find it impossible and just give up, after expending untold hours and money with this primitive method.
    Bottom line, anyone trying to do something like this should be realistic and understand that a LOT of talent and knowledge is necessary for any success.

Post 8 is my untried and dirt cheap method.
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...tml#post187368
    Follow my designs on Facebook fan pages. http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts

This is a monumental task. When you get the outer body shape done you have to cut out door and window openings and make door jams with places for seals, hinges, and latches. Talk to 76mx about having the body CNC cut from your drawings.

Thank you for the quick responses! Yes, I know it requires a lot of talent and time. But I have skills(I hope so ). So, I did the same as bailey blade did. The car is cut to pieces. The question is now, how to print(save to pdf) exact size sections?

try cutting it with this program... if your 3D model is sized right, then I suppose the sheet provided at the end should be to size to... for example to make a bumper might make up 6 regular sheets for one slice which you'd have to paste to foam and cut out.
    Autodesk 123D Make
    Follow my designs on Facebook fan pages. http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts

Thank you Eric and yes I can. Jonxsx, if you already have the model, I can CNC a 1:1 plug for you without the expense and time of cutting it up. It is going to be more upfront cost, but in the long run, compared to the time and expense of building it the other way, I think it would balance out. You may want to ask the Forum what it has cost them in time and money and wasted material (and divorces) to do it the long way. It often comes down to this: CHEAP, FAST, GOOD, PICK TWO.

i suggest you not do it by hand. if you attempt to do it this way, most likely you will have given up half way through. if you have the money, pay to have it cnc'd. their is only a few people you can find that have the skills to do it for cheap. me being one of them.

check out you tube for the bailey blade project, there is a series of video's that show all the stages of building a body buck ..... sorry cannot post the link you tube not accessible in china