Thread: Ls4

Ls4

Ok so I got the message on the last thread concerning LS4 with a automatic transmission is pretty much my best option. It seems I am limited on performance upgrades on a LS$ engine. Am I correct? What do you suggest in upgrades performance? I have a budget of $10,000-$15,000 on engine/installation and parts.

Keep it stock if you want a reliable car you can actually drive
    Unless you want to start breaking half shafts and other components , then you can turbo it.

You're going to get more than adequate performance from a light kit car with a 300hp v8 in it

Too many people shoot for 500-600hp in a kit car , and end up with a car that breaks something everytime all the power is put down, or overheating problems , or other issues

Keep it stock and you can drive it thousands of miles worry free

You can up grade the cam shaft, do a light port job on the heads and have it tuned and have all the HP you will need and it will still run forever.

My LS4 swap 88 GT dyno'd 538hp at the flywheel but the original builder did a lot of modification and quite frankly, I would have had to pour another $3-5K into a transmission that could handle that kind of HP. Even then, the input shaft, drive chain and clutch packs would likely fail. I opt'd to go back to stock and do an intake, TB and mild cam swap. I am now at 363ph and the performance is very nice. On a light car, that is plenty of power. I find big HP number are almost always about ego not real world needs.

Just my $.02

Dr. W.

I appreciate the comments, will do some upgrades on cam and heads then do a tune. What would you suggest on a single exhaust system? I cannot use a dual exhaust due to the kit car I am building only has one exhaust on the real car.

Quote Originally Posted by rj0002 View Post

What do you suggest in upgrades performance? I have a budget of $10,000-$15,000 on engine/installation and parts.
    If you buy a good motor and trans and have a professional installation, I think you're not gonna have to worry too much about buying performance parts (i think you're gonna eat up your budget pretty quick).