Thread: part fabrication

part fabrication

Anyone know a good place to have a part made? I'm thinking 3D scanning fabrication or mold making. This is the part I need along with a mirror image duplication. It is a mirror mount found in the PowerSport Corvette mirrors made only for the '81-'82. This part is the passenger side. I need another passenger side and 2 driver sides for Fiero Kit car application
    Attached Images Attached Images  

really?

Quote Originally Posted by lurate View Post
    Anyone know a good place to have a part made? I'm thinking 3D scanning fabrication or mold making. This is the part I need along with a mirror image duplication. It is a mirror mount found in the PowerSport Corvette mirrors made only for the '81-'82. This part is the passenger side. I need another passenger side and 2 driver sides for Fiero Kit car application
    Contact Charley (user name 76mx on here) immediately! Read his 'what can we build for you' thread, but ignore all the petty bullshit on there.

he is skilled, honest, talented and has just invested in exactly the equipment you mention.

K9

This looks like a cast aluminum part? I second contacting Charley but if you only need a couple of this part it might not be economical to make them if they are available from any other source. How scarce are they?

Not sure i agree....

Quote Originally Posted by txbuilder View Post
    This looks like a cast aluminum part? I second contacting Charley but if you only need a couple of this part it might not be economical to make them if they are available from any other source. How scarce are they?
    The whole point of 3D scanning/CAD milling etc, IMU, is to be able to rapidly replicate complex pieces. The only concern could be if a billet part would behave the same way as a cast one, and if it had the necessary properties...

I've approached Charley about replicating a similar part for L322 Range Rovers...

K9

Quote Originally Posted by K9COP View Post
    The whole point of 3D scanning/CAD milling etc, IMU, is to be able to rapidly replicate complex pieces. The only concern could be if a billet part would behave the same way as a cast one, and if it had the necessary properties... I've approached Charley about replicating a similar part for L322 Range Rovers...
    K9
    I think txbuilder was trying to says the COST of replicating an existing mass produced part that has the R&D, manufacturing and distribution costs spread over thousands of parts might prove more costly. Some times you can justify the greater cost if the part no longer existing or is very rare. 4 out of 5 of our potential customers asked to have a single automotive part reproduced expecting it to be cheaper than the local auto parts store... but then 5 out of 4 of them where also bad at math. too.
    Hope you find your part....

Quote Originally Posted by CARBUILDER View Post
    I think txbuilder was trying to says the COST of replicating an existing mass produced part that has the R&D, manufacturing and distribution costs spread over thousands of parts might prove more costly. Some times you can justify the greater cost if the part no longer existing or is very rare. 4 out of 5 of our potential customers asked to have a single automotive part reproduced expecting it to be cheaper than the local auto parts store... but then 5 out of 4 of them where also bad at math. too.
    Hope you find your part....
    Absolutely, unless that part is thousands of dollars or obsolete then it is not cost effective to duplicate it. Scan cost, billet (or cast) aluminum cost, CNC cost. Or if there is a market for high end billet replacement parts, then maybe....