Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone use a porsche drivetrain in a kit yet?

anyone use a porsche drivetrain in a kit yet?

I'm doing my research for my motor and trans and the cost is up there for what I'm looking for. so i was thinking why not by a totaled Porsche and just transplant the motor and trans from a boxster, cayman or 911.

if i bought the whole car i could use everthing... am i way off on this. they are a lot cheaper to buy then i thought. completely smashed and crushed front end but the rear (where the motor is) is fine and they can be bought for under $3k in some cases. i wouldn't have to figure out anything for modding it to make it work.. just make some mounts and get it running. some of the listing i'm seeing even say "has been test started"

what do you think???? just thinking out loud ...

brian

Not a bad idea but with the Porsche engine it is a matter of "when" not "if" the engine blows up. I do work for the mechanic at the local Porsche dealer and hear all the stories of having to replace engines.

If you use a 911 drivetrain you will have to invert the transmission if you are going mid-engine.

Quote Originally Posted by txbuilder View Post
    Not a bad idea but with the Porsche engine it is a matter of "when" not "if" the engine blows up. I do work for the mechanic at the local Porsche dealer and hear all the stories of having to replace engines.

If you use a 911 drivetrain you will have to invert the transmission if you are going mid-engine.
    agreed... I'd be OK with that. I'm quite a distance from putting my drivetrain in yet but just throwing around ideas.

for a weekend worrier kit car that will never see the track with slicks. a lightly modded boxster set up with perhaps a 5 to 7 psi turbo should easily get you to the 300hp mark with that motor already coming in at roughly 220hp. seeing that replacement engines could be bought for around $2k and the little amount of miles my car would see ... i think it could be a nice option.

i would have the foot pedals, the wiring harness, the shifter and cables... everything. i think it could make for a great time saver and still deliver some pretty decent performance for such a light car as well.

hmmm....

I wonder if you could even use some of the frame too, just stretched out and strengthened like a fiero frame?
    My Scratch-built Countach LP400 build: http://projectcountach.blogspot.com/

The Boxster frame has been used in a few replicas. The Porsche Carrera GT and a Murci build or two. I think there is a builder down in Florida that specializes in stretching the Boxster frame and putting one of the two kits mentioned on it. The stretch gets done in the cockpit area vs. behind the firewall like most Fiero stretches.

There are as few builds documented on here as well.

Cheers
    Don
    Last edited by Don; 05-16-2014 at 08:19 PM.
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    The Boxster frame has been used in a few replicas. The Porsche Carrera GT and a Murci build or two. I think there is a builder down in Florida that specializes in stretching the Boxster frame and putting one of the two kits mentioned on it. The stretch gets done in the cockpit area vs. behind the firewall like most Fiero stretches.

There are as few builds documented on here as well.

Cheers
    Don
    well if i was to do it i would just being using the motor and stuff to go with it. the chassis will be all tube along with the mounts for the motor. but it would be a good idea for saving some time and money and still have a pretty peppy kit car. i'm not finding to many performance upgrades for the 2.7 motor but i'm sure if i did some head work, headers, pcm tune and intake mods i could get close to 300hp and with the weight of the kit car.. it would be quick.

you will have to go to specialized performance shops for porsche upgrades, they are not your average chevy block. Have you thought about audi 4.3 though they are mainly auto and quatro so you will have to go with 2 wheel trans and aftermarket pcm to make it go

Quote Originally Posted by chimaera View Post
    you will have to go to specialized performance shops for porsche upgrades, they are not your average chevy block. Have you thought about audi 4.3 though they are mainly auto and quatro so you will have to go with 2 wheel trans and aftermarket pcm to make it go
    ya, agreed. just a thought. i would think a few back yard mechanic upgrades could get some nice increases though.

as far as the audi.. i have. check out the link below. its given me some good ideas.
    Audi A8 My Fiero - Pennock's Fiero Forum

been watching that build, man I guess he is in same neighborhood as me..... freaken cold and snowy.

Ims ims ims!!

Quote Originally Posted by chimaera View Post
    been watching that build, man I guess he is in same neighborhood as me..... freaken cold and snowy.
    As I've said elsewhere, if using that series/era of Porsche, check the IMS (intermediate shaft) bearing has been chnaged or do it before you run it. When they fail it alters the timing, and as it's an interference motor, the motor is toast.

Search a Porsche forum, like Rennlist or Pelican for more info...

K9