Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you guys think this is a good deal? testarossa kit car.

Do you guys think this is a good deal? testarossa kit car.

Hi, im looking at buying a testarossa kit car and I wanted some opinions on the one I found which Im thinking is a steal. Ive managed to get the seller down to 4g and from what I can see the car only needs some paint touch ups, rims, lowered and interior replicated as its still the stock fiero interior. The kit is built on an 87 gt 5 speed and it also comes with a 3800 supercharged engine for free. I attached some pictures which is all he had and want to see what you guys think. judging from what you see does this seem like a pretty good deal at 4g?
    thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images      

If it's running and driving with the 2.8, i think it's a good deal. Looks like someone put a lot of nice work into it already. The 3800SC might be nice to get (if it's a good engine), but be aware that:

- Those engines are not easy to rebuild (if it needs it); the tolerances are very tight;

- It will take a lot of work and some special parts to swap that into the car - you'll need at least axles, motor and trans mounts, wiring harness and PCM re-programming. If you're lucky and can do a lot of it yourself, you could get away with $2500 into it for the swap.

Hope this helps you in your plans

If you get it and need some advice, let me know.

The car runs and drives great with the 2.8 that's in there. It gets driven regularly and mechanically in good condition with 90000km on the car itself.
    It looks like the 3800 is a lot more work and costly swap then I was expecting. Id rather put that 2500 or so into completing the cosmetic side of things. One thing too that I was wondering was the actual accuracy of the kit. If it actually looks fairly accurate and passable as a testarossa.
    Thanks for the information so far.

Have you seen a real testarossa ? This replica is missing the entire side window behind the door window !! It will be spotted as a fake instantly . There are better testarossa replicas that actually look authentic and have the glass side window behind the door window .

You could make it look better by using some black tinted plexiglass to create a faux side window , would look ok if you also tinted the side dour windows for continuity

Quote Originally Posted by cutlass442 View Post
    Have you seen a real testarossa ?

You could make it look better by using some black tinted plexiglass to create a faux side window , would look ok if you also tinted the side dour windows for continuity
    Just me, but i like it the way it is; but if needed, this is the route i'd take - it worries me to cut the b-pillar for structural reasons. It takes a lot out of it to put in a real window - but looks REALLY good

Quote Originally Posted by benvprov View Post

Id rather put that 2500 or so into completing the cosmetic side of things.
    If you buy a used fiero, believe me, you'll have PLENTY to do with the money you have left over
    Last edited by Corson008; 06-03-2014 at 03:26 AM.

Hmmmm.... I'm actually liking the look without those rear windows. It looks like the suspension needs lowering, but that's all I can tell. That V6 is a strong engine too.

Around here in Seattle, I've seen V6 stock Fieros go for up to $3,500. I'd go for it.
    My Scratch-built Countach LP400 build: http://projectcountach.blogspot.com/

Looks like a good deal to me as well. From what I can see in the photos. It appears as though someone put a lot of time into lining everything up properly.

Looks pretty good for a non-stretch replica. One of the better ones I have seen at first glance in the pics. It all comes down to how much YOU want to spend on the car to start. You will no problems pounding thousands into it if all of us and our histories with this hobby are any indication.........

Interior needs to be updated to a closer replica. Rims and lowering. Be careful on the lowering though. These old kits were very good at the side look but to get that high front wheel well down, you almost had to put the Fiero frame on the ground. Have a look at your ground clearance now and look at how much you will want to lower it and see if it is feasible and still be able to get over a speed bump.....

Good luck with your decision
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Oh for some reason I thought it was stretched. What makes it obvious that it's not? If it's not stretched it might make me think twice about it.
    That spacing is pretty bad in the wheel wells but if lowering it makes it barely drivable that won't be good either.
    appreciating all the input. Thanks

I think it could be a great deal provided you know what you're getting. It's not that accurate of a replica, but it's not costing you $30K+ either. If it's close enough for you, and the price is right, go for it. Below is a pic of a real testarossa and Sandy's Koenig competition version, which I think that car was inspired by looking at the area behind the drivers door glass. Sandy's Koenig Testarossa kit is the standard bearer for ALL testarossa kits and worth well more than $30K. He went all out and I doubt even the most astute Ferrari fan would think it was a replica until they looked at the engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by jntramey; 06-03-2014 at 09:09 PM.