Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GTR Body Kit for G35 Question

Question GTR Body Kit for G35 Question

I posted this originally in the off subject thread. I think it may have been posted there by mistake. Below is what I was looking for.

I have an 07 G35 Infiniti Coupe Base model. I have gone back and forth for over a year about what to do to upgrade and customize my car since the day I obtained it.

I recently considered doing the Vaydor conversion kit... but with an estimated build cost of $35,000, the project consideration quickly exited possible reality and entered impossible dream state...

Needless to say, as sick as that car body and interior is, I had to return to earth and consider more cost attainable options.

Which brought me back to the GTR body kit from Duraflex. I like the way the kit looks on the car and I have found the full kit ranging anywhere from 6-700 dollars to over $1500.00!!

Not sure what the price differences are to have such a spread, but it seems that if I look hard enough, I will be able to find one cheap enough.

Out of the research I have done, Duraflex seems like the best way to go. But I wanted to poll some of the other enthusiasts and see what you thought.

Any information of personal encounter or tips or really anything to help guide me on the best method and most cost effective way to go about obtaining a body kit for my car would be greatly appreciate.

One thing, I am have custom work experience. Not body work, but I can hold my own under the hood or out with my car. I am also considering plasti dipping my car once a body kit is obtained, so any personal experience with this product would be appreciated as well.

Thank you all in advance for you help and interest.

plasti dipping my car it works well and it can look nice but it has the property of being able to be peeled off so scratches, dent and dings can make it look bad in a hurry later on. Custom or complete car body paint jobs here (shops) are running 10 - 20K now so plastic dip for the DIY painter is an option.

Hey G35Mike. I'd just like to give an advice from parent to parent, since I think I've been in your shoes before financially. I mean, in your other thread you mentioned how money is tight even like a hundred bux. If I were in your shoes now, what I would do is think family first, and not even try to freshen up the G35. First and foremost it is a nice car in itself unmodified (I know I had a 350z). 2nd, kids and wife should really be the priority if finances are tight. You wouldn't want to start freshening up the car when you could save that or splurge on the kids

Again, just my .02 as I'm also a parent. Whatever direction you decide to go, wish you the best of luck.
    Posted via HTC or Windows 10. Images hosted on www.PixelsBin.com.

Quote Originally Posted by CARBUILDER View Post
    plasti dipping my car it works well and it can look nice but it has the property of being able to be peeled off so scratches, dent and dings can make it look bad in a hurry later on. Custom or complete car body paint jobs here (shops) are running 10 - 20K now so plastic dip for the DIY painter is an option.
    I have had my eye on Plasti Dip for a while now and I honestly think that at some point I will be using this product. The issue I have isnt body damage that would prevent it from working aside from peeling paint on the front bumper. The issue is the chipped rims. Bought the car used and apparently the previous owners had depth perception issues... but what I want to figure out is how well it would cover up the chipped alloy, which I watched a youtube video on and think I may be able to sand down the chipped sections before dipping them. If that will work I can save a lot of cash and give my factory rims a custom look. If and when I attempt that, I will be posting the pics on this forum. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by bangsters View Post
    Hey G35Mike. I'd just like to give an advice from parent to parent, since I think I've been in your shoes before financially. I mean, in your other thread you mentioned how money is tight even like a hundred bux. If I were in your shoes now, what I would do is think family first, and not even try to freshen up the G35. First and foremost it is a nice car in itself unmodified (I know I had a 350z). 2nd, kids and wife should really be the priority if finances are tight. You wouldn't want to start freshening up the car when you could save that or splurge on the kids

Again, just my .02 as I'm also a parent. Whatever direction you decide to go, wish you the best of luck.
    hey Bangsters,

Believe me when I say, my family always comes first. All I am doing is information gathering at the moment. I have questions and I am curious about this or that, so I look it up and see whats real whats not whats possible and whats rediculous to even consider. Thats really it.

I am a character animator in the middle of starting his own company in order to better my financial status and better take care of my family. Thats my priority. When things are up and running however, I will be better able to approach these projects, but I always like to have a plan on what I am going to do once time and money permit.

I appreciate the feed back however.

Quote Originally Posted by G35Mike View Post
    I am a character animator in the middle of starting his own company
    There are a few characters here on this forum that could be animated I think ... your rims can be ground and sanded then dipped it just takes patience to get a good look... the plastic dip allows you do overs til you get it right --- however in a few years success in your business will allow you to buy new rims and the Lamborghini attached to them LOL ---- good luck

Quote Originally Posted by CARBUILDER View Post
    There are a few characters here on this forum that could be animated I think ... your rims can be ground and sanded then dipped it just takes patience to get a good look... the plastic dip allows you do overs til you get it right --- however in a few years success in your business will allow you to buy new rims and the Lamborghini attached to them LOL ---- good luck
    Hey there carbuilder,
    Love the remark "There are a few characters here on this forum that could be animated".

As an animator, patience is one thing you cannot do without. So I believe, based on the cost of new rims versus creativly changing the design of factory ones I have... Plasti dip is definitely worth the time and effort.

I'll post pics of my rims as they look now so you see what I am dealing with. I believe this will take quite a bit of sanding and I believe I will purchase a power sander to avoid sanding fatigue...

I have a honda that I am going to do test runs on with plasti dipping the body. It has hub caps and ugly OEM wheels, so no amount of plasti dip is going to help with that.

The Honda is my wifes car and she only intends on driving that for a bit. So when shes done with it and in a new car, I am going to park my infiniti so I can dip the wheels and the body. But test runs on the Honda will be nice so I can figure out the technique before approaching my G with it.
    Last edited by G35Mike; 06-11-2014 at 11:52 AM.

Question Back to the GTR Kit

So with Plasti Dipping no longer in question...

Has anyone had experience installing the G35 GTR body kit?

and

Would Duraflex be the best option or is there another option?

Hello Mike I have seen several videos with the plastidip and I'm curious to know if is a good material. Is it recommended for my src430? What do you think?

The duraflex is of excellent quality. I love g35 style GTR.

Have you checked out the videos on youtube on the Duraflex? I can't because I'm at work but there is one there stating NOT to buy one.