Thread: Should I use Lightweight Filler to fill Hollow spaces ?

Should I use Lightweight Filler to fill Hollow spaces ?

I need some expert advice on filler material that also adds strength. My car has hollow spaces that i want to fill. For example, my hood consists of the fiero base with the ferrari shell bonded with fiberglass on top of it. There is a hollow space in between. I want to fill this space with something that strengthens to hood, but also doesn't add too much weight. Spray foam insulation isn't gonna do it I'm afraid - not enough strength.

Any advice from experienced builders ? Thank you.

It seems than an injected foam is the only answer to a confined space like this. Use the mild expansion stuff. You will be surprised by the rigidity it ads.
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

2 part foam 2lb or 4lb will do the trick. Avoid the spray foam from the hardware store.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post

2 part foam 2lb or 4lb will do the trick. Avoid the spray foam from the hardware store.
    I never heard of 2 part foam. Is there a more specific name or brand to ask for ? Can I get it at an auto paint supply house ? thanks.

Daleford - the spray foam scares me because if i put it in, i'm done and can't re-do it. I was gonna stuff the spaces with fiberglass-bondo (which i think would add structure) but it would be too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Corson008 View Post
    I never heard of 2 part foam. Is there a more specific name or brand to ask for ? Can I get it at an auto paint supply house ? thanks.

Daleford - the spray foam scares me because if i put it in, i'm done and can't re-do it. I was gonna stuff the spaces with fiberglass-bondo (which i think would add structure) but it would be too heavy.
    Typically found at a marine supply or fiberglass supply house.

Urethane Foam , Expanding Marine Polyurethane Foam

I agree injecting foam would be better compared with using a regular filler. What Macgyver posted would be a good brand and product to use.

Try the foam it works well and you will be happy with the result however if not there are cleaver and easy ways of removing the foam later. Good luck...