Thread: steering wheel upholstery (lots of pictures)

steering wheel upholstery (lots of pictures)

ive recently had my first go at covering a plastic steering wheel with leather, it was a nissan note steering wheel wich looked like it was sanded.
    heres my experience:
    first i made slots into the steering wheel to fold the excess into:

then i stretched the leather as much as i could and taped it down, then i marked the lines where the slots were:

after i marked all the pieces, i sewed them togheter and trimmed the ends

after i sewed all the pieces togheter, i got a cover wich stretched around the wheel nicely:

i then glued the pieces to the wheel, marked the first half to line up with the center, took it off again and cut it and put it back on:

then i lined up the second half, marked the edge, cut it again, and then it looked like this:

to mark the stich spots, i took a skewer and taped it to a sharpie, this way i could trace along the edge, and space the marks along that edge:

now the fun part begins, the stitching. i chose a straight stitch simply because i think it looks best, its definately not the easiest, but imo the best.

FINISHED!!!!! it is alot of work, i put about 8-10 hours in it, but not bad for a very first try.

impressive

Not bad? That looks excellent!
    Without talent experience is worthless

That looks good, great work there man!!

What's up with the upper left seam? It looks like it didn't get stitched all the way. Other than that and the color (I would have chosen darker for that interior, but to each their own), overall the build looks great and I now have a good template to work off of. Very informative!
    My Scratch-built Countach LP400 build: http://projectcountach.blogspot.com/

Looks good. Aren't wheel stitches X patterned?

Quote Originally Posted by cr1978 View Post
    What's up with the upper left seam? It looks like it didn't get stitched all the way. Other than that and the color (I would have chosen darker for that interior, but to each their own), overall the build looks great and I now have a good template to work off of. Very informative!
    no i stitched it from spoke to spoke, but when i glued it i accidently pressed the excess flaps onto the leather. because of that they didnt fold nicely into the grooves i cut into the steering wheel, because of this it bulged up. i am gonna fix that later on, but first i need to finish some other upholstery jobs.
    i didnt really choose the colour, i'm just broke and we recently had new furniture so i had this leather leftover, but i currently am covering alot of the pieces in the same leather like the door card inserts and the dash inserts, wich make it a really good look.

Quote Originally Posted by onewickedsvt View Post
    Looks good. Aren't wheel stitches X patterned?
    there are alot of different ways, the most used way is to take the entire cover off, and stitch the edge with a sewing machine, put it back on, and connect those stitches with another thread, wich make them look like a diamond pattern. but there really are alot of different ways. i just thought this one looked the best