Thread: Decklid hinge point countach WTF?

Decklid hinge point countach WTF?

I have been trying to scour the interwebs for pictures of the wing/trunk cover hinge points on a real countach. I can't break the code on this one. It looks like it swings way forward into the engine compartment and the edges rest on the drip edge. But where the heck is the hinge? see in this pic...

I thought it may be on the bar in the front, but I can't see any hinge, only a fastener...

I thought I had it licked when I found some pics of the compartment completely open... But that still didn't solve the mystery.

Lastly I found this pic on a similar layout and still no definite answer.

I want to say I can figure something out if I have to, I just thought you savvy countach people would be all over this. So I am reaching out to the community. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I am also trying to figure out how this seals against the weather. I am guessing the lid comes backward when you close the cover near the front of the decklid and crushes the seal to keep water out.

Thanks,
    Gumby
    Last edited by gumby69; 07-09-2014 at 10:25 PM.

Gumby, my car came with two 'L' shaped brackets on the body, so the horizontal part of the 'L' lays along the divider between the engine bay and the boot (trunk) and there is a circular hole in the vertical part of the 'L' bracket that accepts a rod bonded into the decklid. The brackets are obviously at the outer edges of the opening for the decklid. Thus:

Name:  boot lid hinge.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  252.1 KB

Also found these:

Name:  Lamborghini-Countach-25.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  144.6 KBName:  Lamborghini-Countach-26.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  133.4 KB

K9

Thank you sir!

That will work fine for me...

Peace,
    Gumby

Here is the OEM hinge
    Attached Images Attached Images  

At the gap between the deck lid & trunk, there is a trough (to catch water) approximately 1.5" wide attached to vertical sheet metal. The sheet metal has the contour of the trunk lid angles. Rubber weatherstripping goes on this sheet edge.

Countach boot hinges

This is what I had salted away for a rainy day, hope it helps

Oh man, I owe a few members a beer... thanks... case closed! It's exactly what I was imaginging. Angled brakcets and if the lid closed forward there must be some way for the water to drip off... and viola! you can see the drip tubes. This tells me the "trunk" on my car is too shallow fore/aft. I will have to make some changes. I know it ultimately is just a hinge point, but if I do it, might as well do it right. It's a bummer too that the last owner ground off the lips that hold the weatherseal... must have thought it was flash from the mold to be trimmed. He had all the rubber stripping glued on.. "ouch"... what a pain...

Here is how far back that is on my car....

Peace,
    Gumby
    Last edited by gumby69; 07-11-2014 at 08:41 AM.

That's a retardedly beautiful engine, but that doesn't help my hinge issue. Too bad I can't do the maintenance of the real V12. Ka-Ching!