Thread: Relocate the Fiero dog bone?

Relocate the Fiero dog bone?

Ok, I need to relocate the Fiero dog bone. It's blocking the right intake hose of my 355 airbox set up. I know that people have done this before, but I've never done it. Does anybody know of a good alternate spot, and how to install it there?

Tie a rope around the throttle body and then attach it to the firewall somehow (bailing wire will work too).
    Just kidding lol, I'm sure there are may ways to relocate it, you could even make a custom dogbone that mounts in the same place but is configured differently to allow the space you need.
    Without talent experience is worthless

LOL... Thanks Murci, never would have thought of that. Really. I wouldn't. Anybody ELSE got any ideas? (looks sideways at Murci through squinted eyes).

When I put mine together I decided to install 2 different supports. The front dog bone is from a late 90s GM. It was shorter than the Fiero. I installed a 1x2 x10ga support against the firewall before covering it with an aluminum cover and insulation. The rear mount was made from a 9/16 steel rod with rubber grommets to damper vibration. The setup is very strong and creates little movement.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks Mac! I intend to do something very similar now. Question: I have my original Fiero dog bone staged in it's new location. When I pull or push on the dog bone itself I can with some effort get it to move 1/16 of an inch in either the forward or backward direction. Pushing harder still moves the whole engine/tranny combo some. Is it supposed to do that or does this mean the mounts are worn out?

If the rubber is intact I'm sure it will be fine. (everything get's a little loose after 30 years) You just want to make sure the top of the motor doesn't shift like 2 inches under acceleration tearing up your motor mounts and breaking off the ears off your transmission. I just added a second one for insurance. Probably just overkill.
    Last edited by MacGyver; 07-16-2014 at 06:39 PM.