Thread: Perspex headlight covers - to seal or not to seal?

Perspex headlight covers - to seal or not to seal?

I'm ready to mount the perspex headlight covers but it strikes me there could be a problem with condensation and thus transparency during rainy periods. The headlights (Mini Moke) have a rubber seal which should prevent any moisture coming into the enclosed area from splash under the front guard but I wonder should I attempt to seal the perspex covers to the bodywork as well? If moisture does get in it will be a PITA to remove the covers and let it dry out.

I wondered if I should drill a drain hole through the fibreglass under the headlight rim and allow small gaps to remain where the perspex cover doesn't fit snugly to the bodywork, creating some kind of airflow/ventilation, or will that just encourage condensation under the covers?

Does anyone have experience with these types of covers or any comments? Thanks

That's a great question. Maybe some of the Countach guys can help. Personally I wouldn't seal them, unless you can guarantee you have a vacuum under the perspex. My Range Rover has lights on the back of it that mist up occasionally, but they are designed to vent to atmosphere and not be sealed...

K9